Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking help?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 25, 2009 8:57:20 PM

Is it possible to do remote overclocking help? because i dont really know how to fully do it myself and noone has been able to help on forum,but is there an interactive guide on how to overclock quads? ive read one by graysky and didnt understand it,my specs are:
650W PSU
EVGA 285 gtx
45nm Q9550
DDR2 800 8GB
liquid cooled
MB is EP45-UD3P
so can anyone walk me step by step on how to get my q9550 to 4Ghz or higher? my xfire is Uzi910

More about : overclocking

a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 11:47:09 PM

maskarat said:
Is it possible to do remote overclocking help? because i dont really know how to fully do it myself and noone has been able to help on forum,but is there an interactive guide on how to overclock quads? ive read one by graysky and didnt understand it,my specs are:
650W PSU
EVGA 285 gtx
45nm Q9550
DDR2 800 8GB
liquid cooled
MB is EP45-UD3P
so can anyone walk me step by step on how to get my q9550 to 4Ghz or higher? my xfire is Uzi910

It's too hard to do so....

The first thing you should do is print out this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

The second thing you should do is entering the BIOS and follow the instruction given by the page above.
(Keep pressing Delete key right after turning on you PC will lead you to the BIOS settings!)
December 25, 2009 11:48:57 PM

i didnt understand grayskys guide,thats why im asking
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 11:49:15 PM

Manual is your friend and it is all I needed when I was building my first computer without having to ask others for help.
a b K Overclocking
December 25, 2009 11:52:37 PM

maskarat said:
i didnt understand grayskys guide,thats why im asking

......That guide was specifically designed for noobs and it's what I use to OC my PC.

I don't think you can get any easier answer out there.

You will have to go to a PC shop and paid them for OCing it for you if you can't understand grayskys' guide....

BTW, 4GHz seems to be the top end of Q9550 and so don't expect it can go above 4GHz.
December 25, 2009 11:53:25 PM

andy5174 said:
Manual is your friend and it is all I needed when I was building my first computer without having to ask others for help.

overclocking that isnt stated in the manuals other than do at your own risk
December 25, 2009 11:55:04 PM

andy5174 said:
......That guide was specifically designed for noobs and it's what I use to OC my PC.

I don't think you can get any easier answer out there.

You will have to go to a PC shop and paid them for OCing it for you if you can't understand grayskys' guide....

its unorganized in my opinion,i learn best by interaction and well,that guide still doesnt explain on other things like pll and vdroop and things that are less covered
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 12:02:24 AM

maskarat said:

...so can anyone walk me step by step

No. I doubt if anyone will. We will point you toward the guides and answer any specific questions, but we expect you to do some of the research and work.

maskarat said:

... how to get my q9550 to 4Ghz or higher? my xfire is Uzi910

You may not be able to reach 4 GHz. no matter what you do.

If you do not understand the guides, you will not understand the instructions. And this just does not lend itself to cookbook approach.

Part of my standard cut 'n paste:
This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...

That's written for a Gigabyte P35, but the BIOs is very similar.

And anything else, google is your friend.
December 26, 2009 12:17:22 AM

jsc said:
No. I doubt if anyone will. We will point you toward the guides and answer any specific questions, but we expect you to do some of the research and work.

That's written for a Gigabyte P35, but the BIOs is very similar.

then where can i start with Vdroop,pll,and those other settings? or are they not required
jsc said:

You may not be able to reach 4 GHz. no matter what you do.

how so? and im looking at gigabyte one
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 12:17:27 AM

maskarat said:
its unorganized in my opinion,i learn best by interaction and well,that guide still doesnt explain on other things like pll and vdroop and things that are less covered

Ok.....

1st: Download the datasheet at this page http://www.intel.com/design/core2quad/documentation.htm

2nd: Write down all the max and absolute max voltage values given in the Electrical Specification section of the datasheet just downloaded.

3rd: Set FSB=471 and CPU multiplier=8.5

4th: Manually set the Timing of your RAM following its manual.

5th: Manually set all the voltages to their maximum value

6th: Torture test it with prime95. Go back and set all the voltages to their absolute max values if not stable.
(Check here if you don't know how to use prime95: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html )

Again, 4GHz is the very top end of Q9550 which is not good for your CPU. I would suggest you to set the FSB=400 and CPU multiplier=8.5 to make it 3.4GHz and you will have a 1:1 ratio between your RAM(2x400, DDR= DOUBLE data rate) and FSB which is best for LGA775 CPUs.

Good luck!
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 12:22:23 AM

vDroop is controlled by Load-Line Calibration(LLC) if there's this kind of option. I suggest you to turn it OFF(if there is this option) and you are done with vDroop.
December 26, 2009 12:25:30 AM

yea,i dont know if this is good,prob not but,i got to 3374.5 Mhz by only increasing fsb and core voltage to 1.088 and keeping multiplyer at 8.5 without touching the vdroop and crap like that,which i assume is bad,and i assume thats why i cant go around 400 fsb,right now its 397x8.5
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 12:54:53 AM

maskarat said:
yea,i dont know if this is good,prob not but,i got to 3374.5 Mhz by only increasing fsb and core voltage to 1.088 and keeping multiplyer at 8.5 without touching the vdroop and crap like that,which i assume is bad,and i assume thats why i cant go around 400 fsb,right now its 397x8.5

For FSB=400 and 3.4GHz:
Set Vcore=1.3625V, Vtt=1.155V and PLL=1.575V. If your system is stable after this, lower them ONE at a time until your system become unstable again to find the MINIMUM voltage required.

For FSB=471 and 4GHz:
Set Vcore=1.45V, Vtt=1.26V and PLL=1.575V. If your system is stable after this, lower them ONE at a time until your system become unstable again to find the MINIMUM voltage required.
December 26, 2009 12:56:58 AM

ill try that now,youre being helpful and even if it doesnt work your trying so thanks
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 12:58:43 AM

Finding out the MINIMUM voltages IS very time consuming, but it will make your system as cool as possible which is the point of doing this.
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 1:01:55 AM

Note that the Thermal Specification for your CPU is 71.4C, so you want to keep ALL of your cores under this temperature!

Download Latest Prime95 at: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Torture test your CPU with Prime95

Installation And Running Tests

Prime95 is a program which searches for very large prime numbers. It has also gained a reputation for getting errors on computers which are even slightly unstable. If there is any problem with your CPU, your RAM, or the parts of your motherboard which are the interface between your CPU and RAM, then Prime95 has a tendency to fail. This is a very useful characteristic if your computer is flakey and you're not sure which component is causing the problem. If your computer can run Prime95 for 24 hours without any errors, then you can usually assume that your CPU and the parts of the motherboard which interface with the CPU and RAM, are stable and working well.

Prime95 is a distributed program which spreads the work among large numbers of computers. When you run it for the first time, click the "Just Stress Testing" button when asked. But if you would like to contribute some spare CPU cycles to help find prime numbers, by all means press the "Join GIMPS" button.

To test your computer, run Prime95 and click the "Options" menu and then select "Torture Test".

Then select a test and click "OK". In this case it's "In-place large FFTs" which is the best test to run. Run the test for a few hours. If you want to be thorough then let it run for 24 hours. To stop the test, click the "Test" menu and then click "Stop".
December 26, 2009 1:29:51 AM

ok,i took your advice and try 4.0ghz and like you said its high,during os boot vista got stuck,(loading bar stopped moving lol) then i lowered to 3.8ghz and it works,im about to test gta 4,and if it works without crashing ill do prime95 testing and see how that goes
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 1:34:32 AM

It's normal for not being able to hit 4GHz, because every chips are different and only one of the best Q9550 chips will be able to do that.
December 26, 2009 1:38:14 AM

andy5174 said:
It's normal for not being able to hit 4GHz, because every chips are different and only one of the best Q9550 chips will be able to do that.

thanks you really helped me out,but is there a way i can determine VTT and those settings you gave me? or is it trial and error in the process of finding lowest vcore and then lowering the other settings?
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 1:41:44 AM

maskarat said:
thanks you really helped me out,but is there a way i can determine VTT and those settings you gave me? or is it trial and error in the process of finding lowest vcore and then lowering the other settings?

Yes, trial and error is the only method as every chips are different. That's why I said that finding out the minimum stable voltage IS very time consuming.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 1:43:49 AM

However, you can ask someone who is also at 3.8GHz with his/her Q9550 for the voltage settings. Then you can start from there. Actually that's what I did when OCing my i5(I didn't ask but GOOGLE it.).
December 26, 2009 1:45:34 AM

thats alot of help,as for other settings like advanced clock control and trd and memory and so on settings,do i learn to configure them or leave them as is?
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 1:50:11 AM

maskarat said:
thats alot of help,as for other settings like advanced clock control and trd and memory and so on settings,do i learn to configure them or leave them as is?

Leave them as AUTO if the specification of those settings are not given in their manuals.
December 26, 2009 2:56:36 AM

well the thing is i transferred my 8gb ddr2 from hp to this costum pc,my first build so i dont really know what model it is,so im just keeping it on auto,or stock voltages for everything else, right now its 3.8 GHz and cores are 43/43/41/41,im still going to lower voltages later but right now voltages are 1.2v
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:02:24 AM

maskarat said:
well the thing is i transferred my 8gb ddr2 from hp to this costum pc,my first build so i dont really know what model it is,so im just keeping it on auto,or stock voltages for everything else, right now its 3.8 GHz and cores are 43/43/41/41,im still going to lower voltages later but right now voltages are 1.2v

There should be a sticker on those RAMs stating the brand and model number. Try to find the specification of them on the official site and google it if you can't.
December 26, 2009 3:03:44 AM

oh ive tried its some unknown asian company,well thats what you get when you try to get into gaming pcs starting from hp
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:05:48 AM

G.Skill, Hynnix, Samsung, A-Data or Legend?
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:08:46 AM

Post a picture of it if the description is in Asian language.
December 26, 2009 3:22:29 AM

hynnix
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:31:59 AM

It's a good Korean company that produce memory modules which is used on most of the Kingston RAMs.
December 26, 2009 3:32:59 AM

didnt know that,well thats a relief,thanks
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:38:42 AM

maskarat said:
didnt know that,well thats a relief,thanks

A lot of Whites think that Asian made products are rubbish without knowing most quality PC parts are made in Asia by Asian companies.

For example, a lot of people think that the products made in Taiwan is as bad as it was in the past without knowing that Asus, Gigabyte, G.Skill, Lianli, Silverstone, Prolimatech, CoolerMaster and Thermaltake are all Taiwanese companies.
December 26, 2009 4:06:35 AM

didnt say it was rubbish i said it was asian (not as in cheap) because i saw sticker that said hynnix so that sounds asian imo,i dont take favors in any race or side
December 26, 2009 6:04:08 AM

ok thanks, i got down into 1.1750v at 3.8ghz,but if i go any lower i get bsod when booting into vista that says something like interruption on secondary clock not recieved within time or something,well im in the 40/40/37/37c degrees right now,should i start lowering vtt or pll?
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 6:39:28 AM

Did you get at least 12 hours Large FFTs test stable? Do it first if you haven't done it.
December 26, 2009 4:34:38 PM

its doing large fft test but worker 4 failed almost instantly,
[Sat Dec 26 13:11:30 2009]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Sat Dec 26 13:26:21 2009]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 5:10:18 PM

Then it's time for you to up the voltages a bit!
December 26, 2009 5:17:29 PM

so im guessing you up your voltages or down the clock?
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 5:21:06 PM

maskarat said:
so im guessing you up your voltages or down the clock?

The best way to find out which voltage is causing the instability is setting the voltage that might be too low according to your 6th sense to its maximum value with ALL other voltages staying unchanged and see if the system is stable after this. If it is stable, then it's the voltage you need to tweak. If it is not, try tweaking another voltage in the same way.
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 5:22:25 PM

Again, trial and error!
!