Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No Signal To Monitor

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 20, 2008 10:28:42 PM

I was told to make a new topic about this, so here it is with a pseudo-brief recap.

First, hardware stats...

Gigabyte gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard
AMD 4600+ cpu
Antec True Power Trio 650w PSU
2 GB RAM
eVGA GeForce 7950 GT
1 HDD @ 320 GB, 1 HDD @ 250 GB, both SATA sata , both 7200 RPM
HP W22 22" widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit

- I was playing a game (Spore, although I think its irrelevant) and about 10 seconds into playing it, my monitor went blank, saying it had no signal, and then into Sleep mode. Once in a blue moon I get video driver crashes that do something similar, and then the screen comes back in a few seconds and I continue on my way. Not this time. Did a hard reboot.
- The computer began booting as normal, and then shortly before the login screen, the monitor again went blank, saying no signal.
- Computer makes a noise (not a POST beep) when it powers on... sort of a hum, followed by a lower-pitched hum, but boots normally (albeit with no display).
- I took the video card to work to test it out, it tested out fine.
- I purchased a new power supply, which didn't change anything.
- I purchased a new motherboard, which didn't change anything.
- I purchased a new CPU, which didn't change anything.
- I took the system (without the monitor) to work to test it out, and it works fine there. Had it booted for about half of the day on Friday until I shut it down.
- I have replaced or switched all cables involved.
- I have tried a different monitor.
- I have tried both VGA and DVI outputs on both monitors (although my video card only has DVI inputs).
- The HP w22 monitor, when connected to my girlfriend's laptop, works just fine.
- I have even tried using different outlets on a completely different circuit.
- I have tried the other PCI-E port, although I'm not familiar with SLI at all, so I'm not even sure that having a single video card in the PCI-E_2 slot works, but even so, no change.
- I have made sure all connections are clean, and I have made sure that the card is securely seated in the slot.

The computer boots just fine, and shows a display when connected at work. The monitor works just fine when connected to a laptop. When the computer is connected to the monitor, there is no display. I am going to visit my mom tomorrow, and will be taking the entire system (monitor and all) there, to see if there is some strange power situation going on in my apartment, even though every other electronic item (including a 42" LCD, XBOX 360, etc) works just fine. I have contacted HP and they were very little help.

Sorry for the long topic. I've been at this since last Thursday trying to get it to work, and I am officially stumped.

More about : signal monitor

September 20, 2008 11:28:13 PM

Since you haven't mentioned it, I'm going to state the obvious :) 

Have you a started in Safe-mode and has it worked? If it works, then that means something is wrong between the windows graphic settings and the monitor.
September 21, 2008 12:02:08 AM

I tried as best as I could to get into safe mode, but I don't have any way of seeing if I'm in safe mode or not. So either I'm not getting into safe mode, or I am and I still don't have a display.

At no point in the boot up process do I have a display. Its as if I have no monitor installed whatsoever, even though its on and powered on.

This is a very perplexing situation.
Related resources
September 21, 2008 12:28:32 AM

single card in 2nd pci-e will not work needs first pci-e connected first,had a similar problem once upon a time,,turned out it was the video cable from the crt,had a broken line inside the cable ,,had to replace same from inside the crt,,also check your cable for bent or broken pins,try moving the cable around when connected to said monitor,in any event let us know how it turns out,good luck...:) 
September 21, 2008 12:35:10 AM

What the problem is, is you have your refresh rate above what the monitor can understand.
You need to set it somewhere between 60Hz to 85Hz.
Or it could be, your video card is not detecting the correct DCC mode.
How to fix it is to simply turn the monitor off and back on again.

September 21, 2008 2:52:57 AM

dokk2 said:
single card in 2nd pci-e will not work needs first pci-e connected first,had a similar problem once upon a time,,turned out it was the video cable from the crt,had a broken line inside the cable ,,had to replace same from inside the crt,,also check your cable for bent or broken pins,try moving the cable around when connected to said monitor,in any event let us know how it turns out,good luck...:) 


I've done this multiple times, and I've even purchased a new DVI cable as well as tried three different power cables.

harrycat88 said:
What the problem is, is you have your refresh rate above what the monitor can understand.
You need to set it somewhere between 60Hz to 85Hz.
Or it could be, your video card is not detecting the correct DCC mode.
How to fix it is to simply turn the monitor off and back on again.


The refresh rate, according to the brief on-screen display, is still set to the monitor's native refresh of 60Hz.
The monitor has been turned off and on (and cycled according to instructions on the HP website) several times.

September 22, 2008 2:08:42 AM

When the computer first boots up, the refresh rate is 60Hz which is the standard for VGA displays. When windows starts, the refresh goes from 60Hz to 120Hz or more.
I don't know what key to press during the Windows boots sequence but you need to get the computer to boot into safe mode.. Then right click on your desktop, select Properties, when the display properties pop up, Click on the settings tab, and then click on the advanced button.
Click on the monitor tab. Un-check "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" , after that, set the refresh rate to 60Hz and reboot the computer.
September 22, 2008 2:28:56 AM

harrycat88 said:
When the computer first boots up, the refresh rate is 60Hz which is the standard for VGA displays. When windows starts, the refresh goes from 60Hz to 120Hz or more.
I don't know what key to press during the Windows boots sequence but you need to get the computer to boot into safe mode.. Then right click on your desktop, select Properties, when the display properties pop up, Click on the settings tab, and then click on the advanced button.
Click on the monitor tab. Un-check "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" , after that, set the refresh rate to 60Hz and reboot the computer.


I'm taking the system back in to work to see if I can figure anything out tomorrow, however I doubt that the refresh rate is causing the problem. At no point in the boot process or anything after it can I actually see anything on the display.

Something odd, while visiting my mom I took my system to to her house. My step-dad just called me saying that their computer is now doing the same thing, however he can see the boot up process (or at least enough of it) to see that it is hanging on gagp30kx.sys.

This strikes me as impossible, but is there any way for a virus to spread via a monitor?

September 23, 2008 5:14:26 PM

gagp30kx.sys is a generic universal AGP GART driver for AGP video cards.
To fix GART driver problem, you need update to the latest GART driver for their chipset rather it be Intel, AMD, SIS, ULi/ALi, Nforce2 or Nforce3, or VIA.

You shouldn't have this GART driver loading on your SLI motherboard.
If by chance it is loading on your SLI motherboard, you need to go to device manager/system devices. Find the AGP device and uninstall it.

No, a virus can not infect a Monitor.
September 23, 2008 10:20:48 PM

After all of this hassle, my video card exhibited symptoms of dying. Garbled display, etc... so I think this has all just been a prolonged dying of my video card. Plugged it into a different computer at work and it did the same thing as it did when I saw it die, so I'm going to purchase a new video card and pray.
October 2, 2009 12:53:09 AM

errantlawndart said:
After all of this hassle, my video card exhibited symptoms of dying. Garbled display, etc... so I think this has all just been a prolonged dying of my video card. Plugged it into a different computer at work and it did the same thing as it did when I saw it die, so I'm going to purchase a new video card and pray.

please let me know if this works. I have the same problem. I did everthing you tried.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 25, 2009 12:23:50 AM

We are having the same problem and we are where you are currently. Stumped! We bought a new video card and had no luck. Any info would be appreciated!
!