Windows xp just keeps rebooting

jmbraswell

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I have an older Dell running under Windows XP. All a sudden, when I boot it, it just keeps rebooting. I have gotten an error "no cpu fan detected" for about a year. Had it fixed then & fan works fine, just keep getting the error, so I hit F1 to bypass. It has always worked, up to now. I hit the F1, it continues on the Windows screen with the running line, then goes blank & back to the Dell blue screen then the error screen again, where I had always gotten by with depressing the F1 key.

I ran fixmbr & fixboot to no avail. They made no difference. The only thing I had done differently was run a malware detector & ran AVG virus scan.

Thanks for any input regarding this issue.

Sincerely, Michael from Tennessee

LauraN

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Michael,

I know this is an obvious question, but do you have your installation CD?

I found this on ST&T forums:

After inserting the installation CD, Windows will find your C: Windows installation and will give you the option to repair by pressing ( R ) Now is when you need to press the ( R )...Windows will copy the files and everything as It would be doing a new install and will reboot your computer... Do not start from the CD again... Let Windows XP installation to run and it will repair your Windows without loosing any data...

If repair isn't available intall regularly but do not format the hard drive!

HTH,

Laura

jmbraswell

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks Laura. I did run the R from an XP Professional CD (I am running XP Home). Then I ran the fixmbr & fixboot. Nothing helped. I appreciate your help.....Michael

jmbraswell

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yes Thanks. I did & it just continued the same rebooting process. I guess I'm going to take it to a local Computer Repair Shop. Nothing has helped. Thanks for your concern......Michael

mary221

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
There is an service that is either virus or corrupt.

can you start in safe mode? If yes, run Ultimate Repair in Flobo System Repair.

If you cannot, start using BartPE and copy the hives registry from repair folder in windows\repair to windows\system32\config . search google for more info.