can adual core make up for not having a gpu??

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
hi, i recently got a dell latitude d620 as a gift. it has a core 2 duo(T5500 @ 1.66ghz) and 512 mb or ram and a intel graphics 945 acellerator. im going to upgrade to 2 or maybe 4 gigsor ram, but i am wondering ir the extra core will make up for not having a gpu. i just want to play counter strike source and maybe some other old games.

if it wont does anyone know of any cpu or gpu upgrades available?? im sorry but i dont know much about laptops. any information is apreciated. Thanks!!

mi1ez

Splendid
You can't upgrade the graphics on a laptop and the intel integrated graphics probably won't manage a playable fps at any resolution.

The second core will help over a single core but the thing doesn't stand a chance.

Sorry

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I will run some older games on low settings. But it is not gaming machine or any kind of constant high processing power pc. What you will experience is some games that will run fine for a minute or couple and then start lagging because it will heat up and throttle down speed due to overheating. If games are Your main cocern You could sell Your laptop and get a second hand one for the same price with dedicated card . I for example have recently got Fujitsu Siemens E8010D with 1.4GHZ Pentium M 1GB RAM and ATI 9700, just to try it out I installed NFSU2 I can run it on almost highest settings. Also video card upgrades are very rearly possible on laptops , very costly and never worth the money spent.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

i dont know if this is true or not but if it is... :lol: :lol:

CPU ability simply cannot replace the existence of a good GPU. Their architecture and design, and the way software use them is entirely different. You could have the fastest Core i7 CPU in your system, but if you have a low end (or any for that matter) integrated graphics processing unit, you'll not be seeing good performance on any modern games.

Now you switch over to laptops, and it gets even worse since you're almost always using integrated graphics anyhow. Even with the "independent" GPUs in some high end laptops, you still can't get the same GPU performance you'd get with a high end desktop GPU.

Even if you had a Quad Core processor in your laptop, it won't make up for not having a GPU. :(

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Actually laptop graphics cards in higher end gaming laptops can in fact be upgraded if you do it right.

Yeah, you should be able to play games from <2004.

lol @ Diablo II... are you kidding me? I was able to get smooth gameplay in D2 with a 650Mhz Duron, 16MB GF2 graphics, and 256MB of RAM. His laptop should be way more then fine. (Though I'm still assuming that you were kidding lol)

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Just for kicks, I ran gpuz on my Lenovo laptop with a T5500 and 965 integrated graphics

ROPs 8 Bus interface: PCI
shaders 8 Direct x- 9.0c
Pixel fillrate 4 Gpixels/s Texture fillrate 4 Gpixels/s
Memory Type DDR2 Bus Width 128
Memory Size 8 mb
Gpu Clock 500mhz

The only thing that surprised me was that this machine came preloaded with Vista and the card does not support Direct x 10...

I've never tried any games other than old SNES mame games.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
wow, that sucks. but it was a free laptop so i wont complain. i can play counter strike(not source) fine so i guess that will have to do. I am going to drop 2 more gigs into the other ram slot, dell has a $20 instant rabate on their website for some older laptop ram. so thank you all for helping me

Im probally gona install postal 2 ;)