- ASRock 4CORE1600-D800 dual-core LGA775 motherboard
- CD/DVD drive
- 3.5" floppy drive
- SATAII hard drive (encased in Silentmaxx HDD case, temperature averages 33 degrees Celsius)
- Corsair VX450W power supply
- 120mm rear exhaust fan
- an even larger side case fan
- noisy-as-heck Cooler Master blow-down CPU heatsink/fan
Given this setup, would it be practical to replace the Cooler Master with a fanless heatsink CPU cooler?
If so, does it make a difference whether the heatsink fins are perpendicular (like the Scythe Ninja Mini) or parallel (like the Thermalright SI-128 SE) to the airflow coming from the side case fan?
The case is not large enough to support a heatsink taller then five inches.