Mugen 2 vs Core Contact Freezer

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to you all.

I am running an AMD Phenom II X3 720 with an unlocked core @ 3.0 GHZ using the stock heatsink, but with a 120 mm fan that I have modded myself. I also use K10Stat which allows me to customize Cool n Quiet (set up overclocking profiles, undevolt, etc...)

My idle temperatures with my CPU running at 400 MHz is around 22-25. While gaming or prime 95, it goes to 55-62 which I think is hot.

So I am wondering if the Scythe Mugen 2 is still the best performer in its price range. I am not willing to spend more than 45$ (Newegg) so please keep suggestions in that price range.

Thank you,

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Take a look here and pick one of the top 5 and then find the best price?
http://www.frostytech.com/

Think the Mugen is still pretty good on that list.

Core Contact Freezer is mentioned a lot here for the best bang for the $.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
My ambient temperature is around 18-21 C. I use Everest Ultimate (latest build) and HW monitor.

There is a bug though that I am sure of. Sometimes my idle temps is 22C. I restart the computer and let it idle again and the idle temp becomes 30C. I am sure the conditions are the same and the system is doing nothing. I think it is related to the BIOS and the fact that I have the 4th core unlocked.

Any recommendation ?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I am running an OC'd 710 x3 (in my sig) and use a Scythe Samurai Zz. I have been heavily impressed with it's temp performance and don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for triple core amd coolers. I paid $22 for it at a local shop, but usually goes for $30 retail. The Core Contact Freezer is a fairly tall HSF, and if space isn't an issue, you will probably get what you need from it, but if you have a tighter case, the Zz is a pretty tight HSF.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Thank you for your experience JofaMang. I do leave my side panel open so size is not really an issue. I can also move my RAM strips if possible and keep dual channel since each channel has its DIMM slots next to each other.

As for unlocking the 4th core, I have done some testing with 3 cores, got the max temps, and compared them to the max ones obtained using 4 cores and added a headroom. However, I think reaching 60 while gaming MWF2 is high so here is the Core Contact Freezer at 25$.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
The the CCF is probably your best choice. I keep my case closed, and it was too tight for a CCF, so I took a chance on the Zz. I also like how the Zz moves air over the motherboard in my case setup, but would have gone for the CCF if I had the room.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
My case is the Ultra Wizard Mid-Tower. I like to keep the side panel open since I am always modding something. However, once settled in, I'll try and close it and see if things fit. If not, there's no problem keeping it open.

I am simply amazed from how much extras you get with the Core Contact Freezer for a mere 25$.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
My point is that since the 4 heatpipes touch the CPU casing, there are gaps between the pipes meaning putting a dab of thermal compound in the middle and letting the heat spread it won't work.

It seems that applying thin lines on the heatpipes is the best method, but I would like so more feedback.

Thank you.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Just wanted too put another one in for the core contact. (which it sounds like you got). I did my first lap on it and it rocks

my phenom II 945 at stock, with a silent fan kinda on it (ram slots got in the way so it's rigged)

I have an idle of 23-25 and a load below 50. I can run it almost fanless (one case fan and the graphics fan) and it doessn't crash but the temps are high. And all thats after only 5 hours after application of TIM. :)

And yes appling thermal paste on the heat pipes in lines is the recommended method , google it for a more detailed guide

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
If you want to lap it, you should be warned that you can't return it or anything.

As for the lapping process itself there are a variety of ways, there is a lapping guide at the top of the heat sink page that is useful. I myself got a lapping kit from easypckits.com and there was instructions in there that I followed.

It probably won't give you a huge difference in temps but something ( I lapped mine because i was having heat problems and the base of the sink was scratched).

using small fft's I haven't gone above 45.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Thanks for the heads-up tkgclimb. I do not think I will be lapping it since 1 or 2 C won't make a difference for me. If it's scratched, Newegg will replace it.

My unlocked 720 should perform similar to your quad thermally at least. With an old Athlon heatsink now and a 120 mm, I hit 58 C on the CPU with large FFTs.

I guess I should try small FFTs and see what I get. What do you think?

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

I Think small FF'ts are the standard test for CPU stressing, but they are all pretty similar, and like stated before, are extreme scenarios that you probably won't encounter.

58 is fine, but higher temps will create a louder case (assuming you have any thermal controlled fans). And if you want to OC more, 58 won't give you much headroom.

You should see a drop with the CCF compared to that old athlon. The only problem (as already mentioned) is that it is big.