Sign in with
Your question

Working at home via a computer?

Tags:
Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
August 9, 2010 3:04:18 AM

Hi, i've not got any training as such, all my experiences with computers have been mostly self taught- and the accumulation of trial and error, however i am interested in computers generally: hardware and such and also i'd like to get more out of computers. Up to now most of my experience has revolved around gaming so has been forcibly made to include light work with routers and ports and such and also the more physical side of building and replacing components for friends, family and of course myself. I'm pretty sure we have all had to solve a few viral issues here and there with computers also, though this seems less like a skill and more like a pre requisite for dealing with a windows based system.

I say the above to provide some background with regard my level of experience, but basically my problem is this: this year i was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and made redundant in the same week, which very much sucked. Since this time finances have been a bit sad and i am forced to recognise that my ability to work is going to fluctuate. The only way i feel i can have a secure income is if i'm working from home hence my topic. I am hoping to find some sort of computer focused job wherein i could work primarily from home and still provide myself a reasonable income.

I lack qualifications with anything technological, i have always been more active in the jobs i have had before now so i expect to have to study. Studying isn't a problem, though the shortest route to a degree of financial freedom is the most ideal, as my opportunities to study would increase as my financial situation improved. I'm a UK resident, so if you just read this and you are American, I apologise- but thanks anyway- and I'm from the South East of England if that's relevant for any northerners who had any good ideas restricted by geography...

Excuse the off topic nature of this post but at least its not an ad for shoes or other branded goods : D

More about : working home computer

August 9, 2010 3:39:58 AM

i am i should state asking for guidance and advice not just gettin it all off my chest : P
August 9, 2010 4:19:26 AM

I believe this is the General UK discussions - so bollocks to anyone not English (including myself) reading this as another nationality.

Working from home as some sort of computer tech / dealer shouldn't be the problem. The problem might be the competition your area has as a lot of people can and probably are doing something similar.

Your first port of call would be to assess the local businesses. Pricing, amount of shops etc. That will lead you to look at what you can offer at a better price or if you are lucky at a niche point. It will be tough to break through, but nothing is impossible - it's just how accurately you can gauge your "rivals" and create a little market for yourself.

Related resources
August 9, 2010 7:32:49 AM

rebus_forever said:

I lack qualifications with anything technological, i have always been more active in the jobs i have had before now so i expect to have to study. Studying isn't a problem, though the shortest route to a degree of financial freedom is the most ideal, as my opportunities to study would increase as my financial situation improved. I'm a UK resident, so if you just read this and you are American, I apologise- but thanks anyway- and I'm from the South East of England if that's relevant for any northerners who had any good ideas restricted by geography...

Excuse the off topic nature of this post but at least its not an ad for shoes or other branded goods : D

[#0005ff]I posted on the joys and pitfalls of self-employment somewhere on this Board not long ago and if I can find it, I'll point you to it. I do what you're considering for my living and for the last six years, it's been the only source of my living. In my part of the world - Milton Keynes - there are more than a dozen Yellow Pages full of adverts similar to mine and a few more sprung up when the slump started and IT types were being made redundant and thought they could start up ontheir own.

To be frank, you need to be prepared to make fifty quid a month net for the first six months and from then on you need word of mouth to keep you going so you have to make sure you give a decent service. There are con-artists in this game like any other but they soon get found out. You can fix your rate - mine is notionally £40 for a call-out and up to an hour's work - but at the end of the day, a job is only worth what it's worth and you'll get better WOM advertising for charging a tenner for simply resetting someone's router in ten minutes flat than sticking to insisting on your £40 or whatever. Sometimes you'll take a job home and struggle with some malware for hours but still not be able to charge for all that time.

I won't bang on about it here but you're welcome to 'phone me if you want some more detail - I'm not hard to find from here. :D  All I would add is that I'm nearly 64 but have no intention of ever retiring. That said, I went to great lengths to cut my personal and business overheads in the last few years so I don't have a need for a huge income - if you do need one this is not the right business for you. It's the best job in the world because every day is different and no two computers you'll work on is the same, so you'll never stop learning. I love it to bits but ten years ago, I couldn't have afforded to do it. Can you?
[/#000ff]

August 9, 2010 11:37:51 AM

hey thanks all for the help but the link u posted took me to a forum post about .co.uk sites?
August 9, 2010 4:41:51 PM

rebus_forever said:
hey thanks all for the help but the link u posted took me to a forum post about .co.uk sites?

It does but you need to scroll through the general banter to the post of 23/7 in reply to a poster who was thinking of going it alone.

August 10, 2010 6:13:50 AM

Happened to trip across this thread whilst thinking of a business idea myself, I looked up Saga's post for you so here it is :) 
*Shamelessly C&P'd*
You avoid the climbing corporate ladders bit if you're your own boss in a one-man band. There's no-one to argue with and if company policy is crap, you're to blame. It's quite amazing how quickly you knuckle down to the idea that the governor's usually right. He's also there all the time, has to pay twice for all his holidays and hasn't got anyone to whom to hand a sicknote but apart from that, it's a great life.

You obviously have the skills if you're "in IT", although I'm never too sure what that means - so start while you're still employed, build up a little business then go it alone when it can support you. Because businesses can go down as well as up, you need to be doing more than one thing so you can develop your other ideas as you gop along and introduce sidelines or separate businesses as and when they've proved themselves.

Don't employ a woman with a viable womb and don't forget you aren't supposed to ask them. Men can conceive well into their seventies so forget them as well because they get free (expensive to you) time off to be a father. Soon the law will give them time off for the ruddy conception as well, I daresay so remember from the outset that you're on your own in this.

I've worked for myself or as a Director of my own companies since 1979 and wouldn't have it any other way. Now, because I've cut my living expenses to a minimum I can choose only to have one string to my bow but previously, I've always had to have a backup of at least one other line and so will you for thirty years to come. By the way, does that take account of the then retirement age and the possibility medical science can keep you alive until you're 120?

Just don't consider starting a PC repair business within a twenty mile radius of Milton Keynes. Competition is not welcome here.

You know you want to do it and you know you can do it - you're only seeking confirmation but that has to come from within.
*Theft ends* :p 
Thank you for the insight there Saga, I was already of the opinion 'I'll try it small and wait till/if it grows then see from there'
Glad to see you reflect my instinct as experience,
Moto
August 12, 2010 7:22:18 AM

[#0005ff]Jolly good luck to you and anyone who has a go. My "warts and all" overview should perhaps have made reference to pensions, or rather than the lack of, because there's little chance of being able to afford contributing to one but hey, who the heck wants to retire anyway?[/#000ff]
August 12, 2010 8:30:52 AM

Hello rebus.

I stumbled over your post here by accident. But read that you have Crohn's.

I also noted that you said you´d be forced to go easier with the job and all...

Here is just a little word of encouragement. Never give up dude.

I was diagnosed with Crohn´s last summer and was out cold for a month and had a hard year ahead with medication and monthly hospital visits for blood tests etc. - The outcome however, is that now i´m fully able to work again. My energy level is a tad lower than i´ve been used to. Meaning hard manual labor is out of the question for longer periods of time.

But an office job or working in retail should be no problem at all.

I don´t know when you were diagnosed with it, but i can tell you that compared to other non-cureable diseases you won´t feel this one in the long run. I don´t take pills anymore either. Albeit i will have to if my condition gets worse if i get ill. But everyone gets ill from time to time aight? ;) 

I´m just telling you, although your idea sounds awsome, that you should not give up on working away from home. Your energy should go up normally if you eat right, exercise a little and stay positive about it eh ;) 

!