Sign in with
Your question

Using Wired Router and Wireless Router Together?

Last response: in Networking
April 6, 2004 5:32:58 PM

Is a setup like this possible?

DSL Modem->Wired Router->Wireless Router w/4 wired ports->PS2 and Wireless Connection

As of this moment, the Wired Router is not connected and the wireless router is serving one pc in the office with it (downstairs) via wired connection and the PS2 upstairs via wired connection. I am also using the wireless connection on a PC upstairs and a notebook.

I want to insert the plain router, while still using the wireless/4 port so that I can have the wireless access upstairs. This would bring it much closer to the wireless pc and hopefully give me more range with the notebook, as I have heard that "higher is better" for wireless AP's.

As I understand from other posts, what I need to do to make this work is to configure DHCP to use different IP's on each router (i.e. 100-105 and 110-115)? Then configure the first (wired) router to trust the second set of IP's? Is there more to it?

I apologize for not really knowing much about the topic, but any help is appreciated.

Athlon XP 1900 (11x200) 42C (Load w/AX-7 & 8cm Tornado) - MSI K7N2 Delta - Corsair Value PC3200 - Gainward GF3 @ 250/550 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -
April 8, 2004 8:58:25 PM

Turn off dhcp on the first router. Use dhcp on the 2nd wired/wireless router. should work since you wont be hooking computers to the first router from the sounds of it.
April 8, 2004 10:17:10 PM

Hey, thanks for the response. I also emailed Dlink and they gave me the same advice, but they corrected my mistake. You can't use the WAN port on the second router. Have to use a regular port and if they aren't autosensing, have to use a crossover cable.

I ended up disabling DHCP on both routers just because I figure that I won't be changing machines very much, so I just gave them all their own IP's.

Thanks again.

Athlon XP 1900 (11x200) 42C (Load w/AX-7 & 8cm Tornado) - MSI K7N2 Delta - Corsair Value PC3200 - Gainward GF3 @ 250/550 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -
Related resources
!