Sign in with
Your question

First overclock with i7 920 on EX58 UD3R

Last response: in Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:01:41 PM

Hello this is my first overclocking i saved $ all this year and waited till december's sale to buy my PC :(  i really dont want to burn my processor but i want to overclock it to 3.1 Ghz (small overclock)
Heres my PC stats :

MoBo: EX58 UD3R Gigabyte
Memory RAM: Kingston 2 gb 1333 mhz x 2
Power suply: Cooler master 550W
Cooling system: Cooler master V8
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 Ghz

I have few questions:
Will i be able to OC it to 3.1 Ghz with my PC stats or do i have to buy a new fan or power suply?

I cant find any tut of how to OC i7 920 with EX58 UD3R @ 3.1 Ghz, all the guides are for 3.5 Ghz + overclock and they do it with other motherboards is there any guide for small OC's for EX58 UD3R Gigabyte?

Should i use easy tune 6? the normal boost option OC my i7 to 3.2 Ghz but i have no idea if it'll work with my MoBo i just downloaded this program from gigabyte's website, if i OC to 3.2 with this program will it be stable? no risk to burn my processor?

Ive never OC's and i dont even know how to format a PC so im new with all this BIOS stuff i hope someone could give me a godly guide or tell me what to do =/
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:21:16 PM

iPunket said:
I have few questions:
Will i be able to OC it to 3.1 Ghz with my PC stats or do i have to buy a new fan or power suply?

I cant find any tut of how to OC i7 920 with EX58 UD3R @ 3.1 Ghz, all the guides are for 3.5 Ghz + overclock and they do it with other motherboards is there any guide for small OC's for EX58 UD3R Gigabyte?

Should i use easy tune 6? the normal boost option OC my i7 to 3.2 Ghz but i have no idea if it'll work with my MoBo i just downloaded this program from gigabyte's website, if i OC to 3.2 with this program will it be stable? no risk to burn my processor?

Ive never OC's and i dont even know how to format a PC so im new with all this BIOS stuff i hope someone could give me a godly guide or tell me what to do =/

1. Even 3.6GHz is pretty easy, not mention to merely 3.1GHz.
BTW, a Scythe Mugen II is much better and much cheaper than V8. You should have asked for advice prior to purchase. Also, get Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

2. I don't think that you will have any trouble in setting all the voltages at default values at 3.1GHz.

3. Although Easytune 6 will give you a stable OC, it sets voltages much higher than actually required. Hence, don't use it to OC.
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 3:49:26 PM

1. Enter the BIOS by pressing Delete key during POST(Power On Self Test)/Boot Screen

2. For 3.2GHz OC, set:
BCLK=160
CPU Multiplier/ratio=20
Memory Multiplier/ratio=8
Disable Turbo Boost Technology!
Disable C1E, C3/C6/C7 and EIST if you can't get it stable which is unlikely to happen at 3.2GHz

3. Manually set the Memory timing according to the specification of your RAM, leaving everything unspecified as Auto

4. Set the voltages to the following values:
CPU Vcore=1.25V
Vtt=1.2V
CPU PLL=1.8V
RAM voltage=1.5V

Manual is your friend and it will show you how to achieve all the above steps!

5. Keep lowering Vcore and Vtt ONE at a time until your system become unstable!
(For example, varying ONLY the Vcore with all other voltages being FIXED when tweaking the Vcore.)

6. Run torture test for thorough stability test:

- Software required: CPU-Z, HWMonitor, Core Temp, Memtest86+ and Prime95

- Run at least 12 hours Memtest86+ test and Large FFTs test of Prime95. Up the voltage a notch if it's not stable!
Quote:
Prime95 Torture Test Options

Small FFTs: CPU Stability test
In-Place Large FFTs: Overall system(CPU/RAM Interface) stability test
Blend: Memory stability test, NOT very useful! Use Memtest86+ instead

Prime95 instruction: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Done!
Related resources
December 26, 2009 4:42:09 PM

wow thx alot :D  ima try to do it i'll wait till my brother come with his laptop so i can read the forum while doing it :p 
December 26, 2009 5:08:27 PM

*TIP* Disable all the power saving stuff as well.

Good Stuff Andy.
a b å Intel
a c 145 K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 5:17:42 PM

iPunket said:

Memory RAM: Kingston 2 gb 1333 mhz x 2/

Quote:

The V8 should be fine for some decent OC's provided it was installed correctly. For PSU's it's not so much "how much power" but how well the PSU 9and the MoBos on board power regulation) regulates it

Quote:

This one's for Asus boards but it's very well written.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=...

One thing about the new 920 DO's is that they can be substantially undervolted. I'd start here:

BCLK = 150
Memory Multiplier - 8 (1200)
UCore Multiplier = 16 (2400)
QPI = 18 (5400)
CPU Multiplier = Auto (3.15 GHz @ 21 multi)

next....

BCLK = 167
Memory Multiplier - 8 (1336)
UCore Multiplier = 16 (2672)
QPI = 18 (6012)
CPU Multiplier = Auto (3.50 GHz @ 21 multi)

Quote:
if i OC to 3.2 with this program will it be stable? no risk to burn my processor?

Download, install and use RealTemp or CoreTemp as well as CPU-z while you're testing. After learning my way around taking advice from others, my stability test procedure is as follows:

1. Set new BIOS settings.
2. boot to Windows...if ya get in....
3. Launch CPU-z and on of the Temperature Monitor programs
4. Run Linx ... takes about 5 minutes, if passes.....
5. Run OCCT (CPU:o CCT) test.....takes 60 minutes
6. Run Prime95 overnight

if ya get thru that w/o crashing or getting too high temps, your safe. Again, once you have proved "stable" at a certain OC setting, start dropping our CPU Voltage till you can't pass Linx. I was able to get to about 1.1 volts but temps were no better than at 1.125 so I left it at 1.125 .... can do the same with memory voltage.

Quote:
Ive never OC's and i dont even know how to format a PC so im new with all this BIOS stuff i hope someone could give me a godly guide or tell me what to do =

Until recently (2 months ago), I never did much more than use the "CPU level UP" features provided on enthusiast boards and then go a bit beyond that. We now have my son's box running 24/365 at 3.7 GHz (tems in mid 50's) on one profile and a gaming profile at 4.2 Ghz (temps at about 70) w/ HT turned off.
December 26, 2009 8:34:55 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Quote:

The V8 should be fine for some decent OC's provided it was installed correctly. For PSU's it's not so much "how much power" but how well the PSU 9and the MoBos on board power regulation) regulates it

Quote:

This one's for Asus boards but it's very well written.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=...

One thing about the new 920 DO's is that they can be substantially undervolted. I'd start here:

BCLK = 150
Memory Multiplier - 8 (1200)
UCore Multiplier = 16 (2400)
QPI = 18 (5400)
CPU Multiplier = Auto (3.15 GHz @ 21 multi)

next....

BCLK = 167
QPI = 18 (6012)
CPU Multiplier = Auto (3.50 GHz @ 21 multi)

Quote:
if i OC to 3.2 with this program will it be stable? no risk to burn my processor?

Download, install and use RealTemp or CoreTemp as well as CPU-z while you're testing. After learning my way around taking advice from others, my stability test procedure is as follows:

1. Set new BIOS settings.
2. boot to Windows...if ya get in....
3. Launch CPU-z and on of the Temperature Monitor programs
4. Run Linx ... takes about 5 minutes, if passes.....
5. Run OCCT (CPU:o CCT) test.....takes 60 minutes
6. Run Prime95 overnight

if ya get thru that w/o crashing or getting too high temps, your safe. Again, once you have proved "stable" at a certain OC setting, start dropping our CPU Voltage till you can't pass Linx. I was able to get to about 1.1 volts but temps were no better than at 1.125 so I left it at 1.125 .... can do the same with memory voltage.

Quote:
Ive never OC's and i dont even know how to format a PC so im new with all this BIOS stuff i hope someone could give me a godly guide or tell me what to do =

Until recently (2 months ago), I never did much more than use the "CPU level UP" features provided on enthusiast boards and then go a bit beyond that. We now have my son's box running 24/365 at 3.7 GHz (tems in mid 50's) on one profile and a gaming profile at 4.2 Ghz (temps at about 70) w/ HT turned off.

I can't find this ...

QPI = 18 (6012

I used primal95 for few mins and my temps got up to 74C so i cancelled im afraid to burn my processor =/ i used this config

BCLK=160
CPU Vcore=1.25V
Vtt=1.2V
CPU PLL=1.8V
RAM voltage=1.5V

I didnt move anything else everything is on Auto besides the RAM i set my timings @ 9-9-9-24 i had to change from Auto to Expert, also wut do i do with the turbo thing? o_O

Btw i set the CPU volts @ 1.1V i saw somewhere my i7 920 is D0 and it can run fine with 1.1V, should i change it back to 1.25? im using my PC already and its @ 3.2 Ghz but i feel like i did something wrong skipping the mutiplier part
December 26, 2009 9:21:24 PM

Could someone help me please? =/ i still cant find the

QPI = 18 (6012

my PC got 79C now with prime95 large test
I put the CPU Vcore = 1.1V
December 27, 2009 1:16:56 AM

when you go into bios, ctrl+f1 to unlock features on your gigabyte mobo
December 27, 2009 2:09:12 AM

[*** ed up my comp omg T_T i pressed Ctrl and f1, changed QPI Link to x36 and memory mutiplier to like 14 (lowest) and now my PC wont turn on, it keep rebooting it wont lemme get to the Bios X_X my screen is all black and the mobo keep restarting n restarting with my screen black T_T what to do X_X
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2009 3:15:56 AM

iPunket said:
[*** ed up my comp omg T_T i pressed Ctrl and f1, changed QPI Link to x36 and memory mutiplier to like 14 (lowest) and now my PC wont turn on, it keep rebooting it wont lemme get to the Bios X_X my screen is all black and the mobo keep restarting n restarting with my screen black T_T what to do X_X

Turn off the computer by pushing the power button and don't release it until the PC is off.

Now clear the CMOS following the instruction given in the manual and you will be fine thereafter.

However, you have to reset all the settings after clearing the CMOS.
December 27, 2009 3:23:20 AM

andy5174 said:
Turn off the computer by pushing the power button and don't release it until the PC is off.

Now clear the CMOS following the instruction given in the manual and you will be fine thereafter.

However, you have to reset all the settings after clearing the CMOS.

is there any online guide? whats CMOS? cuz if i have to press any key, it isnt gonna work, my screen is all black and my keyboard dont turn on, when i turn on the PC it keeps restarting n i cant see anything x_x, what did i do wrong? i followed the guide and set my QPI and Memory multiplier to the lowest rate... ;x
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2009 3:35:34 AM

Read Your Manual! It is definitely there.

You still have to READ even I told you how to do so, then why wouldn't you take some time and read your manual?

BTW, I am sure manual is going to guide you better as my English is not very good.
December 27, 2009 3:44:47 AM

andy5174 said:
Read Your Manual! It is definitely there.

You still have to READ even I told you how to do so, then why wouldn't you take some time and read your manual?

BTW, I am sure manual is going to guide you better as my English is not very good.

my mom threw the manual to the trash with all the boxes, thats why i asked for an online manual wow i guess im fked x.x
ima try to download a manual from gigabyte's website

im having the same problem as this dude

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ex58-ud3r-wont-post-371...
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2009 3:57:09 AM

You should be fine as long as you follow the manual Step by Step!

Do EXACTLY what the manual tell you.
December 27, 2009 4:16:47 AM

Ok i fixed it!
i just took the battery off and it works now :D 
December 27, 2009 4:32:09 AM

Btw i never found this ...

QPI = 18 (6012

It just give me options like X36, slow mode, or 14.0 etc ...
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2009 4:54:06 AM

Sorry, I am unable to answer these questions as I don't have a 920.

Hence, the best I can do is giving the strategy of OCing and you will have to follow the manual thereafter.

Do read the manual!

I did my first OC by following the English(NOT my first language) manual without having to ask others for EVERY SINGLE DETAIL.
Thus, you should be able to do so as well considering your English is better than me.
!