HTPC graphics card + sound card

Night-Stalker

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I am planning to build a HTPC in the near future to reuse my old e2160 OC to 3.2GHZ and my P5K along with my HDD. Which graphics card should i get? I want HDMI support. I was thinking of getting a 4850 since I might want to do a bit of gaming on it but if i don't then which card should I get? And sound card, right now i don't have Home Theatre system but i will get one nearly Christmas, so which sound card should i get?

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
IIRC the 4850 has a sound card built into it which is how the hdmi works.

Since you are going for a HTPC I would recommend this card when it comes out. The only problem is that it only works with nvidia cards however, nvidia has been getting better in the htpc area so it might not be so bad.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Most modern gpus can output to HDMI with audio, but the problem is the audio isn't as good as the HDTV's. The gpu industry has some catching up to do.

It says it will only work with Nvidia for the internal connection, if you run the cable from your card outside, it will work with anything.
The Internal Connection is designed exclusively for upcoming NVIDIA products, to create the ultimate in audio and visual entertainment. The External Connection will support any video card, such as AMD's ATI video cards.
I would try the 4850's audio first as it may surprise you(get the latest drivers from realtek). If it does not meet your needs, then get that other card and disable you HD audio on the video card.