Can some one explain why this cost $850??

davidzill

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
If it comes with a bad-ass liquid nitrogen cooling system maybe it is worth that much, but otherwise, a rip-off indeed.

Sure you can. They setup the bios for you and torture test it, then guarantee it.

Yep, they do it. Last one I bought was a motherboard bundle from JNCS.
Celeron 300A, on an Abit BH6, with 512meg of memory.
Preset and guaranteed to run at 450mhz...for about $350. At the time was a screaming machine for the price. Was one of the best setups I ever owned. Matter of fact, I still have the old thing running a label program on a Zebra printer out in the plant, that the crew uses daily. All the parts and case are still the original stuff from long ago...... Imagine that!

I just came back from vacation. I brought back a Q9550 to replace the Q6600 I have in my newest machine. The Q6600 will trickle down to my unused 680i motherboard. Also brought back 8 GB of Crucial Ballistix, two 1 TB WD drives, and an eVGA 260GTX-216 (sale from newegg - couldn't resist).

I removed the HSF (TRUE). Got lucky, the retaining plate stayed in place. Didn't need to remove the motherboard. Reinstalled the HSF, and bumped the FSB up to 400 MHZ to give a core speed of 3.4 GHz. Then I upped the FSB to 425 MHz to give 3.615 GHz. Took less than 10 minutes after installing the chip. Tested with Prime95 a couple of hours primarily to check core temps (56 C - 61 C).

$270? P.T. Barnum was right.

For $270, you could almost buy another CPU if you got a "bad" chip - "bad" being defined as " not a good overclocker".

----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

It looks like it comes with 2 sticks of Kingston Hyper X DDR2-800 RAM too, so that's another $20-50 depending on 2GB vs. 4GB. It's still a rip-off.

Imagine a buyer who doesn't have a clue how to overclock and needs a fast CPU.

Option 1: get a Q9650. Compared to a Q9550, $230 more, 6% faster.
Option 2: get this deal. $270 more, 20% faster.

This deal makes a lot of sense for such buyers. They do exist, you know, they just don't visit forums like this one too much.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Looks really dumb to me.

#1 - If you KNOW how to build a PC, you can OC yourself easily.
#2 - If you DONT KNOW how to build a PC, buying this combo is not gonna do you much good.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Says who? I'm pretty sure companies have sold systems that are overclocked when they arrive on your doorstep. If you meant that an unopened retail processor in a box can't be guaranteed to overclock... well, yes... if it works at its rated speed, you have no grounds for a return. In this case I'm under the impression that the CPU is tested prior to shipment.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Actually, it seems to include two sticks of RAM. It says Kingston DDR2 1066MHz (Populated 2), and the image shows two sticks. Even their website gives no more details. :pt1cable:

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

If people paid for the parts, I would build and OC systems for free in my spare time. You are paying for an OC warranty too...that is probably what the steep price covers....and partially the idiot fee :ange: