4 drives all do the same thing

gow75

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I have a custom built pc and a gateway gt5012 pc.

the gateway is old a few years, the custom built a lot more newer.

the gateway has 2 drives, one is a DVD DL and the other is a cdrom drive

the custom built one has 2 Memorex drives one that is a DVD rom and the other a DVD DL drive.

for love of christ i can not figure out why all these drives do this.

when pressing the eject button they all do not eject on the first try only after at least 3 times or more do they eject.

the gateway DVD dL drive is a tsstcorp drive and the cd rom is a Liteon cd rom

the custom built pcs drives are both memorex. :)

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I would suspect that this is because they have software buttons. What I mean is that rather than toggling a flip-flop that starts the eject motor, the button instead causes a momentary high on an input of one of the drive's microcontrollers. This initiates a sequence of steps that might run something like this: check if a disk is loaded, check if it is spinning, spin it down if it is, alert the computer that the state is changing, actually eject the drive. My question to you - if you wait for a second after pushing the button will the drive eject? Or after two pushes? The button might also be used like a stop/eject button on a cassette player - one push stop, one push eject.

gow75

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
well i hit it one time and it should eject. it does not the green activity light comes on and nothing i press it again nothing and a third time nothing it is frustrating.