Sign in with
Your question

Best Heatsink for Am3 motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
December 26, 2009 6:32:09 PM

Hey guys I recently built a new rig. I've got a amd 955be on a asus M4A79XTD Evo and i'm trying to find out which heatsinks will not block any of my ram slots. The three heatsinks i've been looking at are the Coolermaster hyper 212 plus, Sunbeam Core Contact freezer and the Prolimatech Megahalems. I'm not currently overclocked I just prefer my cpu not to run at 50C at stock speeds while gaming. At some point I may overclock to 3.5-3.6 so nothing crazy i'm sure all three of the coolers would do just fine with that.
I was pretty close to buying the sunbeam core contact but the only thing that worries me is that its an older cooler but i guess that doesnt matter. Basically I just need one that'll clear all my ram slots and easy to install is also a plus.

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2009 6:50:04 PM

Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Scroll down the page to see the AMD list. Click on the heatsinks to read the technical reviews.

You can use the Google embedded search engine to find more useful information,

I still use my original Thermalright Ultra 120 in my old AMD system. It was one of the first, if not the first, tower style heatsink. It can still hold it's own against allo the competitor's variations of the original. It is going to be replaced by the brand new Thermalright Venomous-X in my brand new Intel Core i7 860 system. Waiting for it to arrive.
m
l
December 30, 2009 12:29:57 AM

i actually have the same set up (955be and 790x evo) i bought the sunbeam. i havent built it yet, but i can check if it blocks any ram slots for u

update: the heatsink it self does not block any ram slots, however depending on which way you install the fan, it can block 1 slot. u may be able to squeeze in the ram if its small tho. sry im not very good with computers haha, first build :) 
m
l
!