4870X2 Problems

kenk2006

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Hi All!!!

OK, got both systems built and running!!! Only problem I have is with the 4870X2's. First I had to flash the MB BIOS before I could even put these cards in the machine (it wouldn't even boot). Apparently alot of peeps are having problems with this card as am I. These cards are SLOW!!! The 4850 I was using until I got the 4870X2's is way faster (when benchmarking with 3DMark Vantage). I've tried all the tricks they've suggested and it's still slow. Alot of peeps are saying it has to do with the PCIe card bus and the way the 4870 uses it, and how the drivers and possibly the CPU are bottlenecking the system.

If they can't figure it out soon, I'm going to switch to the GTX280's in SLI. I really like the 4870's but it's not worth the hassle trying to get it running like it should. The rest of my system is working great!

If anyone has the 4870X2 and is using it with a simular setup and has had good results with it, please let me know what you did! I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to work right!

Best regards, and thanks!!!
Ken

DFI LanParty DK X38-T2R BIOS Dated 8/29/08
Intel 9550 Quad Core 2.8 O/C to 3.4
8GB OCZ Reaper PC8500 5-5-5-15 Timing running at 800MHZ
VisionTek Radeon 4870X2 (Single Card) Catalyst 8.9 Drivers
2X300 WD Velociraptor HDD in RAID 0
LG BD/DVD Burner
Antec 1200 Case
PC Power & Cooling 1KW PSU

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Never touch bundled driver cd's. Always download the latest onto a DVD/CD in advance and read the pdf manual.

DFI had an issue with 4870X2, but I think the new bios addressed it.

Can you elaborate on "slow"? As in microstuttering in Crysis? You know parts of the screen are in synch.

kenk2006

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Oops, my bad! I am using the 8.9 drivers... I was typing that at 4AM and mis-typed it! lol

Yep, the DFI DK X38's and from what I understand the X48's wouldn't recognize the 4870's. They came out with a BIOS update and the card is recognized now.

When I say slow, I mean as far as benchmarking and just overall 3D performance. I can't seem to get the card to run faster even if I O/C it. I've been on the ATI forum and there are a TON of peeps that are having problems with this card, but there are some that actually have it working good. or so they say. It runs VERY hot and unless you have some sort of utility to control the fan speed there is no way to get the card to run cooler.

If it's just a matter of trying a different MB then I certainly can try that, but I'm not sure which one would be the best choice for this hardware combo I have. But if there is a setting in the MB Bios I need to check or some settings I need to change in the ATI driver control panel, please let me know! I may have something not set right, or it's possible this MB just can't handle the 4870X2. I haven't seen anyone else out there posting that has this MB and GPU combination so I'm leaning towards a MB/PCIe issue with this card.

Thanks!

ecjohnston

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Hi

I just built up my new gaming system over the weekend - Specs: Core 2 DUO 3.3GHZ Processot - Gigabyte EP45T Extreme Board, Gigabyte ATI RADEON 4870X2 with Antec1000W PSupply, 4GB PC1333 DDR3 Ram- Corsair) I built from ground up with no problems what so ever - I completed a 24 hour test with no hang up's, and have recently installed FSX with much better results than my old pc using the 3870.

Heat is the biggest problem from it though - no need for a heater in the room through winter!!I'll post my benchmark results on here over night - just one thing I may change though I'm using the core 2 duo 3.3GHZ processor on this machine - I'm still tossing between replacing it with my old Q6600 from my spare machine - any ideas?

To note i'm not an overclocker I 've always used standard settings and am quite satisfied with the perfomances, then again as mentioned Im only using FSX, RFACTOR, GTR - I haven't tried any shooter games or anything.

The Gigabyte board came with a water cooling option - I'm seriously thinking of building up a little unit for this - can anyone give me a build guide for water cooling - I'll use one of my older V/C's before attempting to cool the 4870.