Sign in with
Your question

How to fix dvd drivers

Last response: in Storage
February 24, 2010 2:26:17 AM

Hello,
I have an HP laptop computer dv6910us. For some reason, the computer can not read the dvd that come with the laptop.

I had try to use regedit to eliminate upper and lower limit, but still does not work.

I had tried to take the dvd out with hoping pnp will kicking in when I install back but it does not.

I am stuck. What should I do?
Everytime I put a cd or dvd, the device is reading it and the light blinking but then stop and I can not locate the dvd drive when I click on computer.

Please help. I am using Window VISTA.

More about : fix dvd drivers

a b G Storage
February 24, 2010 11:57:42 AM

Does it show in the bios?
Try updating the firmware of the drive.
Try RMAing the drive to HP.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 24, 2010 12:23:23 PM

You say you can't read a specific DVD; i'm asssuming that means other DVD's work without problems? If so, you just have scratches/damage on your DVD and its not a hardware problem at all.

Try downloading drivers from the web, and try not to buy any OEM computer in the future (meaning Dell/HP/etc).
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 1:29:16 AM

How can I get into the BIOS?

How to RMA ing?

Thanks.
m
l
February 26, 2010 1:32:20 AM

Thanks for EVONGUG,

How can I access the BIOS?

I owned this laptop about 1 yr, and exactly the dvd playing dead.

So I guess I am out of luck if you mean RMA = Return Manuf. author?

m
l
February 26, 2010 1:38:54 AM

To: SUB MESA,

Thanks for help.

I meant I can not read any DVD at all. The DVD missing from "My Computer" list. Right now I have only 1 hard disk with 2 partition ( C: and D:)  only. Usually I will have E: drive for my DVD, now it's gone.

I search on google, yahoo etc; many people experience the same problem, but the solution very varies and no certainty. By the way, I have Itune for my Iphone on this laptop and recently I just up grade to the newest version of itune 9.?.?. I check their website, they also directing to Microsoft for the solution to eliminate upper and lower register using regedit.

But I fixed it and only one time and then the E: drive or DVD drive is gone again.

HELP!!!!!!
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 26, 2010 2:54:33 AM

Download and burn an Ubuntu cd on another computer, boot your laptop with it and see if it can access the CD/DVD drive via Ubuntu. If that works, you have a Windows-specific problem and your DVD player works fine.

If it doesn't work in Ubuntu also, the DVD drive is dead or improperly connected. You should buy a replacement (50 euro). RMA means you send it back to the factory for warranty/replacement.
m
l
February 27, 2010 3:35:14 AM

to : Sub Mesa,

What is ubuntu? How can I get it?

Thanks again for your help.
m
l
March 10, 2010 7:47:53 AM

Thanks for all the help.

Exhausted all way but still can not recover or id the DVD drive and the webcam.

I rma to HP. Hopefully, they fix it free.

Thanks all.
m
l
!