ed set

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Hello,
I have an HP laptop computer dv6910us. For some reason, the computer can not read the dvd that come with the laptop.

I had try to use regedit to eliminate upper and lower limit, but still does not work.

I had tried to take the dvd out with hoping pnp will kicking in when I install back but it does not.

I am stuck. What should I do?
Everytime I put a cd or dvd, the device is reading it and the light blinking but then stop and I can not locate the dvd drive when I click on computer.

Please help. I am using Window VISTA.

sub mesa

Distinguished
You say you can't read a specific DVD; i'm asssuming that means other DVD's work without problems? If so, you just have scratches/damage on your DVD and its not a hardware problem at all.

Try downloading drivers from the web, and try not to buy any OEM computer in the future (meaning Dell/HP/etc).

ed set

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for EVONGUG,

How can I access the BIOS?

I owned this laptop about 1 yr, and exactly the dvd playing dead.

So I guess I am out of luck if you mean RMA = Return Manuf. author?

ed set

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
To: SUB MESA,

Thanks for help.

I meant I can not read any DVD at all. The DVD missing from "My Computer" list. Right now I have only 1 hard disk with 2 partition ( C: and D:) only. Usually I will have E: drive for my DVD, now it's gone.

I search on google, yahoo etc; many people experience the same problem, but the solution very varies and no certainty. By the way, I have Itune for my Iphone on this laptop and recently I just up grade to the newest version of itune 9.?.?. I check their website, they also directing to Microsoft for the solution to eliminate upper and lower register using regedit.

But I fixed it and only one time and then the E: drive or DVD drive is gone again.

HELP!!!!!!

sub mesa

Distinguished
Download and burn an Ubuntu cd on another computer, boot your laptop with it and see if it can access the CD/DVD drive via Ubuntu. If that works, you have a Windows-specific problem and your DVD player works fine.

If it doesn't work in Ubuntu also, the DVD drive is dead or improperly connected. You should buy a replacement (50 euro). RMA means you send it back to the factory for warranty/replacement.

ed set

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for all the help.

Exhausted all way but still can not recover or id the DVD drive and the webcam.

I rma to HP. Hopefully, they fix it free.

Thanks all.