Sign in with
Your question

two 4 pin = 8 pin?

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2008 8:21:17 AM

I am working on a new build, but it turns out both my video card and motherboard need an 8 pin and I only have one....What I have an excess of is 4 pins. I was wondering if I could mod two four pins to fit into the 8 pin slot, would that work? Or would it burst into flames and leave me with minus one eyebrow.

Failing that, where's the best place to get some kind of 8 pin converter?

Thanks in advance.

Video Card: ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G Radeon HD 3870 X2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Power Supply: I don't know the model, but it's a modular 620W Corsair

More about : pin pin

December 11, 2008 8:33:31 AM

Normally a single 4 pin in the CPU 8 pin slot is enough. Unless you intend to overclock.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2008 8:39:13 AM

Your video card accessories may include an 8 pin adapter of some sort. You could also use the two 6 pin PCIE power supply leads on the video card if they fit until you can locate a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter. The extra two pins are ground contacts. You are still getting the same 12v power, just better grounded with the added 2 pins.

6 pin to 8 pin PCIE adapter. If there is a Fry's or Microcenter store near, they normally carry these 6 to 8 pin 12v adapters.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Use the power supply's one 8 pin 12v lead to provide power to the CPU.
Related resources
December 11, 2008 9:28:08 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I think CPU and video card 8 pin are different. If You have 2 4 pin they normally attaches together to use as 8 pin.
Video card 8 pin uses 3 pins +12V and 5 pins ground and normally can be split into 6+2 pin so thta it can be used for vid cards that only require 6 pin. CPU 8 pin on the other hand uses 4 pins +12V and 4 pins ground and can be split in 4+4 pin for use with older m/b that only require 4 pin. This is why You have 2 4 pin. They should attach together to make 8 pin

Anyway 4 pin is enough unless You overclock Quad.
a b ) Power supply
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2008 1:22:20 PM

+1 @ainarssems

8pin PCIe power and 8pin EPS12V are totally different plugs...
a b ) Power supply
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2008 1:26:41 PM

heh found this
December 11, 2008 2:54:30 PM

I don't intend to OC. And the reason I need an adapter is I bought the card open box, so it didnt come with any. Thanks for your help, I'll go ahead and try it.
!