9800 GX2 SSC & motherboard

tr86

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Hello,

Heres a question for you guys. Has anyone got a 9800 GX2 to work on a dell xps 600? I have updated my drivers but the 9800 gx2 is not picked up by my computer and I am left with no display. The computer boots up and everything is fine except for the card providing display. EVGA has little knowlege of the this problem, this surprised me. Am I the only one with this problem?

The only answer I can sort out of this is the bios update is from 2006 so its not late enough for the 9800 gx2. Other than that, I guess the motherboard cant handle the card.

I have been searching for 2 days now on this issue with little luck. I have seen people get this problem sorted out but their problem slightly differs from mine.

I will also mention the fact that I took this card to a friend to test out with the same PSU and same 9800 Im trying to use now and it worked.

thanks for any help.

specs

dell xps 600

win xp pro

pentium D - 2.8 ghz

EVGA 9800 GX2 SSC
600w PSU

Motherboard Chipset - nForce4-SLI-X16-Intel

ram - 5 gigs

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I've never heard of a motherboard not accepting a video card. I suppose it's possible, but there's also a good chance that it's something simple.

For example, I had a situation like yours because I forgot to plug both power cables from the PSU into the card.

Also, for some reason, I couldn't get a picture unless I used the DVI plug on the bottom, next to the HDMI plug. The top one would work for dual monitors, but not with a single one.

Make sure you're using the correct PCI-E slot (usually the top one, closest to cpu)

Finally, that happened once when the screen resolution was set too high for my monitor. I had to plug another monitor in, adjust the resolution down, and then switch again.

If that doesn't help, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be here.

tr86

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I get all green lights on the card, this means its getting the power it needs. I have tried both plugs, upper and lower. Also, I have tried both VGA and DVI connectors. The card has a blue light that is supposed to come on but doesn't. I was surprised EVGA didn't think that was very important. I thought it was a hint to the problem.

I know someone has to know the answer to this.

tr86

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I have pulled the card in and out several times. Im pretty sure its a motherboard related issue. I have a bad feeling my motherboard does not support the card even with its latest bios update. :fou: