Max memory question

bmead144

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hi all. Noob here and my 1st question on this board. Have a dell Inpiron 531 ( ok so I'm not a gamer/power user). I can just imagine what some may be thinking! :non: But hey it's alright for some light office multi tasking and general web surfing, isn'i it? Cpu's a athlon 64 x2 5000+.Chipset's nVIDIA mcp61.I have a dedicated video card, so not using the onboard graphics. I just installed vista business x64. Every source I've been able to find states that max memory is 4GB(4 x 1GB DIMMS).But this pc came oe with vista 32bit so I'm wondering since I'm now running x64 OS whether or not I'm still relegated to the 4GB. From what I've been able to ascertain,this is depedant on several factors(mobo architecture, OS,chipset...etc.) I've thus far been unable to find any relevant info on the mobo or chipset that gives any indication about their respective physical memory limitations. I realize I could 'buy & try', but finances negate that option. I'm wondering if perhaps a free utility to test the system exists? Any way to tell from bios(and if so how?) It's not a 'big deal' but I'd still like to know (if for nothing else than what I can learn in the process). Any really relevant info appreciated.

lusafent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
and why would you need more than 4gb of ram?
also didn't see a reason behind why you needed to upgrade to 64bit either as you didn't provide a solid reason for needing more than 4 gb of ram.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Personnaly, I'd dump the RAM that came with it anyway. Pick up a 4GB set (2x2GB sticks) for about $40 and you'll be set. Honestly I don't see a reason for vista 64 on your system tho. But 4GB will work fine (may not see all 4GB if using a 32bit OS).

Some RAM to look into:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227334
$39 OCZ Fatal1ty
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
$40 G.Skill
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146731
$46 Mushkin

lusafent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

his dell 531's mobo only supports up to 4gb of ram, also he said he only does light office work and web surfing.
I was also asking his a stright forward question.....why does he need more than 4 gb of ram. It would be just a waste of money if he is only doing light work plus web surfing specially after he said something about his finance. Does that answer your question of why I posted?

bmead144

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Perhaps I should have kept it simple and just asked if now that i have installed the x64 OS, ( which we all know can read/utilize as much as 128GB of memory) am I still relegated to just the 4GB max? I have searched all over the web and full well realize that several factors likely will determine this. Among them are bios, mobo architecture and of course the OS. I'm am curious as to whether or not there is a definitive way to find out without major expense. As far as my finances go,I am not destitute but neither can I justify buying ram that I may not be able to use.Someone suggested buying 2x2GB dimms(I haven't found any evidence anywhere that I can use 2GB dimms.All the info I've found says 4 x1GB dimms-so there's another question in and of itself). While I do appreciate all of you taking the time to post your input, I find it totally irrelevant that you question why among other things I installed the x64 OS and why I would want more than 4GB of ram-these questions don't address my question. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in a direction which let's say might give me some definitive information on the mobo or the bios.As far as DELL Tech support, well for one ,my systems out of warranty and two, who of you really believe they'd have that info and if they did would even give it to me? :lol: Ha!Ha!Thats a real laugh! Evidently those of you suggesting that method have never dealt with Dell Tech support. I seriously doubt that info could be had even with the paid 'premium' support'. BTY, just so you know,the x64 OS made a definitely noticeable improvement in performance and stability on my pc. I hesitated installing it because of the many horror stories regarding installation issues I'd come across,but I'm glad I took the plunge. I even got the OS from dell at no cost and they shipped it free as well! How, you ask? I found a form somewhere on their support site to request replacement oem software for my system and requested they send the x64 version.Got it 2 days later!And so what if i'm not a gamer? I still want my pc to operate as smoothly, efficiently and as problem free as possible-don't all of us? I've got 4x1GB pc2-6400 800mhz dimms-should be here today-that i'll throw in and I may just have to leave it at that. Sorry if this all sound rude :kaola: -it's not meant to. Just pointing out some obvious facts (as I see'em).

lusafent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
the dell inspiron 531's mobo will only support 1gb of ram in each of it's slot, so you cannot purchase 2gb sticks, which in turn would mean it only supports a max of 4gb of 677 or 800 ddr2 ram from the 4 slots.

I'm not questioning your intentions of installing a 64bit os or why you want more than 4gb of ram, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way, I wanted to know the reason not to justify it, but if you really do need more than 4gb of ram, it will be alot better if you get a new computer instead of trying to upgrade what you have, and also because you told us that you only did light work and surfing. guess I have a tendency to try and answer more than what people ask for.

The cheapest way to get pass 4gb would mean you'll need a new board and probably new case, and make sure the board supports atlease 8gb of ram, an amd compatible board will mean you can use your old cpu on the new board. good luck.

bmead144

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

Lusafent,the reply wasn't aimed squarely at u.Sorry if it sounded that way.I appreciate your input.