New/Upgrade System

ccooper1025

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
I want to build a new/upgrade my system sometime around Christmas. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 usd maybe a little more if I have it to spend at the time. I would maybe want to overclock the system a little later but I would have to learn that part of it. Also I do want to crossfire my gqu later when I have the extra cash. Any suggestions would be great.

Parts that I already have:

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core - I don't want to buy a new cpu so I will be sticking with this one.
I do want to get a nice heatsink for it though.

480w Logisys PS - Would like to keep this but if need be I would upgrade to a larger PS.

Parts I'm looking to buy:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

So what I need now is some help picking out a Motherboard, Ram, good heatsink for cpu and maybe a PS if mine wont hold up to this build.

What I would like to do with the pc:

I would mainly be using the pc for gaming but inpart I am new to the gaming scene so don't know what would be the best build in my budget.

I would aslo be running the rig on my 40inch Samsung LCD TV. Not sure if this would play a factor in the build. I may buy a 22inch LCD monitor later though. So would prefer to be able to run on both.

If anyone has any suggestion on maybe using something different please let me know. I'm open to changing anything but the CPU because I already own that and don't want to go out buy a new one.

"480w Logisys PS - Would like to keep this but if need be I would upgrade to a larger PS. "

That's the first thing that caught my attention. It's not the size of the PSU that is the problem. It's the quality. That PSU is not good at all. If it were me I would take it out of the case right now.

Ok here's a list for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131340 MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166 Memory

Get this PSU in combo with an Antec 300 case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371001
That's more in your 500 dollar range.

If you can still afford a cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

I'd suggest a different mobo for a few reasons. The one I have listed below has the latest chipset on it. This will allow you to have the latest chips and possibly some more in the future. Also it has HDMI built into the onboard GPU. This can come in handy if your GPU fails to work and you need to send it back for repair or replacement. You will still be able to use the computer for every day stuff while waiting for the GPU to come back! All for $99 shipped! There are other manufacturers too, so don't limit yourself, but this is probably the cheapest 790gx mobo that I'd buy.
BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I'd also consider this memory:
$124 - $40 MIR = $84!!
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I'd consider the Arctic Cooling 64 CPU HSF for $28, if you can't afford the Xigmatek s1283 one. Usually goes for $20 on sale, so keep an eye out for it.
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

That PSU deal with the Antec 300 is a good buy too, but this will all change soon, so if your not buying right now it'll be hard to suggest something to buy. I'd just watch for deals to come up and buy them as you can afford to. This way you'll be getting good prices and won't have to fork out alot at once. The only issue with buying over time, is that you won't be able to test the parts out to see if they are working correctly and within the 30 day return policy. Now Newegg is very good with customer service, but after their initial 30 days, you'll have to deal with the manufacturer directly, so you get the idea I'm pointing out.

ccooper1025

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the 790GX line of mobos but I was looking on newegg and saw this one and I would likely buy it soon.

Foxconn A7DA-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Also is the PSU that bad that I should really take it out right away because I would much rather get a new mobo first so I could just use the onboard video off that and sell the mobo and gpu that I'm using now.

Any suggestions on howmuch I could sell these two for?

Motherboard - ECS 7050M-M V2
GPU - BFG 8600GTS 256MB

I also just found the Antec Nine Hundred case for $82.99 at a my local computer store here in Houston,TX so I think I will be sticking this this case and just buying a power supply sepperate.

Okay if your PSU is working right now, you generally will be okay. But...Logisys isn't the most reliable of PSU's, so I would change it as soon as you can. If you drop the 8600gts out of the equation and run with the 790gx onboard GPU that'll relieve some of the power requirements that the PSU puts out. This will make the likelyhood of a failure less, because of less stress on the PSU. The motherboard you selected looks pretty good too. The Antec 900 case price you found is a good one, so go with it. You won't be disappointed with it (I'm betting).

If you sell your motherboard/GPU you should expect about 50% of street price or less of a brand new one. You might get lucky and sell for more, but more than likely you will fall somewhere around 20-50% of street value for each piece.