Black Screen

JTL1230

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hi all,

recently finished my new build and have a 4870 installed. when i first hooked it up via DVI, the screen went blank after post, so I thought okay, fine, i've read about the problem. I just finished testing it out with a VGA cable and i get the same results, though it takes a little longer to black out on some occassions. There is no operating system on the computer, so i can't do much. it even crashes out of the BIOS setup screen and the fan on the gfx card goes nuts for like 60 seconds. Is this an overheating issue? is my card bad? it doesn't FEEL too terribly hot, granted I'm not touching it but there is no reason the card should be overheating in 15 seconds with the side panel off, a well ventilated case and a room temp of 72 F.

Any thoughts? suggestions? I've called Newegg and begun the RMA process, I just don't want to do that if I don't have to.

JTL1230

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I think I'm going to, because I'm stumped. It boots up fine with another video card. There are no lights or beep codes....but the fan going 800 mph for 60 seconds worries me. Plus the fact that its blacking out in VGA is concerning.