• Computer
  • External Hard Drive
  • USB
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
February 24, 2010 7:20:44 AM

Hello,
I bought an external hard drive ehich has both Esata and USB connection.
It workes fine when I connect to computer via USB; however, when I try to connect it to the Esata port on my computer, it did not work at all. The Esata port was reported as working OK by the computer, I can't undersatand why, anyone has the same problem?

Ngocthao71

More about : connect esata hard drive computer sata port

Best solution

February 24, 2010 5:09:43 PM

I was going to ask what that article implies - did you try to restart your computer WITH it plugged in. I still have issues with some of my computers not being able to hot-plug an eSATA external HD into it and have it recognized. In fact, I've had a few in the past that would actually lock up the PC if I attempted to do it with the PC on. Try shutting down your PC, plugging your device in, then turning it on. My hunch is it will be recognized.

Also, some eSATA ports on the motherboard still need a SATA cable to be plugged in from the port on the rear of the motherboard to an actual port (where the rest of the SATA plugs are). Make sure you double-check that.
a c 365 G Storage
February 25, 2010 1:38:54 PM

Did you install a driver for your eSATA port in Windows? Most eSATA ports are provided by a "device" or chip on the mobo, and Windows needs a driver for every device in the system. Look on the CD that came with your system / mobo for drivers and installation utilities. If you don't have that, check the website of your mobo manufacturer for the right driver for your mobo and Windows version.
m
l
March 7, 2010 8:45:41 AM

Best answer selected by ngocthao71.
m
l
March 7, 2010 8:55:34 AM

My thanks to Funsurfer, dkapke, and Paperdoc. I tried everything suggested without success. Now, I just resign to using the USB connection.

m
l
March 7, 2010 5:18:23 PM

I have a similar problem with my toshiba Laptop. It has a eSATA/USB port on it. I can connect any eSATA only device and it work fine. I can the port for USB and it works fine. But if I connect a eSATA/USB device, using the eSATA cable, it can not be seen. The same eSATA/USB device will connect to my desktop's eSATA port just fine. Check you PC's documentation on the eSATA port, also check your bios and see if the port is enabled. An easy test to see if the port is working, is to get a standard SATA drive, and eSATA mounting bracket for a desktop system and a power cord for a SATA drive. Connect power to the SATA drive, connect the eSATA mounting bracket to the HD, connect the eSATA cable from the bracket to your PC's eSATA port. If the port is on and the port is good, it should be recognized.

Example of bracket can be found at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have been told, that you can and you can not plug/unplug a drive from a system. I prefer to only plug/unplug a drive from a running system, if and only if I have

1) a system with a HOT SWAP caddy and it is connected to a know HOT SWAP controller
OR
2) a eSATA drive where I first make sure the drive is unounted/removed, then shut off the power, then unplug the drive.

Hopefully this will help you.
m
l
June 24, 2012 5:54:01 PM

You may like to try this:

1) Power off your external esata drive
2) Connect all the cables
3) Power on the esata drive

After struggling for a while I reasoned that the external driver may send initialisation commands down the wire (saying "Hello, I'm here") in hot-plug mode when powered up. Looks like that's exactly what happens :-)

Took me a while to figure, but solved all my problems.

Good luck.

pshoaf said:
I have a similar problem with my toshiba Laptop. It has a eSATA/USB port on it. I can connect any eSATA only device and it work fine. I can the port for USB and it works fine. But if I connect a eSATA/USB device, using the eSATA cable, it can not be seen. The same eSATA/USB device will connect to my desktop's eSATA port just fine. Check you PC's documentation on the eSATA port, also check your bios and see if the port is enabled. An easy test to see if the port is working, is to get a standard SATA drive, and eSATA mounting bracket for a desktop system and a power cord for a SATA drive. Connect power to the SATA drive, connect the eSATA mounting bracket to the HD, connect the eSATA cable from the bracket to your PC's eSATA port. If the port is on and the port is good, it should be recognized.

Example of bracket can be found at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have been told, that you can and you can not plug/unplug a drive from a system. I prefer to only plug/unplug a drive from a running system, if and only if I have

1) a system with a HOT SWAP caddy and it is connected to a know HOT SWAP controller
OR
2) a eSATA drive where I first make sure the drive is unounted/removed, then shut off the power, then unplug the drive.

Hopefully this will help you.
m
l
June 24, 2012 6:49:51 PM

if your esata port is ony an esata port not an esatap then your external drive should have a power port on it as well as an esata which should be plugged into the pc by usb this is because the esata port does not provide power to the drive just simply transfers data
m
l
!