Sound Issue after Graphic Card change

johnhende

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I recently swapped out my old Nvidia graphics card for a new ATI Radeon 4850. So, I deleted the Nvidia drivers and in the process of getting the new card in I had to move the card below the old graphics card to make room for the bigger 4850. After I got the card and all of my new ATI drivers installed I went to play a game and found that there was no sound. At first I thought it was because the card I moved was the sound card and it screwed things up, but it looks like that card was a WinTV Tv tuner.

I then went on HP's site (my computer is a HP Pavillion m7560n) and the specs for my computer state that my sound card is an integrated Realtek ALC 883. When I go into device manager I don't see this under the sound section.

I am not sure how to fix this issue and as you can probably tell I am not entirely computer savvy. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Right click on the sound icon next to the clock in the system tray, and go to "playback devices." It should give a list of all available audio devices in the system. Right click on the one you want (it should be something like "Speakers - high definition audio device") and set it as the default.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Do as cjl says, what has happened is that the ATI audio device on the video card has become the default sound device.

yes, the ATI cards have sound on them! or I should say, they have the ability to output sound thru the hdmi (or dvi) port. so they have a sound 'device'.

Yeah, this harkens back to the old DOS days when everything you installed assumed it was the only (or at least the most important) application on your PC and modified your configuration at will.