Weird Question

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
ok, here's the scoop, i'm building a machine for gaming mostly and the last piece to complete the puzzle is a decent video card. I know what i'm going to get, it's just a matter of saving the $$ and getting it.

As for now i have 2 of the same cards... sorta...

#1. VisionTek ATI Radeon X1300 256MB PCI (it has a fan/heatsink on it)

#2. ATI Radoen X1300 256MB PCI-E (it was from a Dell computer and has only a heatsink on it, and there is no actual brand name as it came from Dell)

My question: which one is the better of the two to throw in my system temporarily? and if the PCI-E card is the better one, should i take the heatsink off and put the fan/heatsink from the PCI card on it to make it a little cooler, or does it not matter?

I will be using either of these till January when i get my new 4870

Also, will either of these cards be ok for EQII or WoW (preferably with all expansions for both games)

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007

Zenthar

Distinguished
I would use the PCI-E one juste because the PCI-E bus is optimized for display and would therfore give better results.

If Dell didn't bother putting on a fan, it might not be necessary, but make sure the casing is well ventilated. You could put the fan and heatsink on the Dell card, but make sure it will fit (has holes to fix the HS and power pins for the fan).

okp

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
From what you've written, I would also go for the increased bandwith of the pci-e. Passive cooling is fine for the X1300 I think.

You could also try and test the cards with 3dmark or a game ;)