First Fully Liquid Submerged Commerical PC

donpm

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Ok, The Reactor is the first commercially available liquid submerged PC. The problem for many of us, is that the cost $3500 for the base model. If we (enthusiast) could buy just the case and the MB, they would sell a LOT of cases. And intern Hardcore Computer would sell more full systems because we would be promoting the system by just having one. People look to us (the nerd in the family) for their PC buying choices, and general follow our recommendations.

However at this time Hardcore Computers does not sell just the case and MB. After blogging about this over the weekend, we came to the conclusion (after hours of debate online) that it would help Hardcore Computer with brand identity, brand integrity, and brand awareness, with very little risk assumed by Hardcore Computing.

So I called Hardcore Computer this morning and talked to the C.E.O. turns out, they have discussed this very issue and decided not to sell the case and MB only at this time but left it open for latter review.

Well the CEO after speaking with me, will readdress this issue with top management. I think I made a clear argument for selling the case and MB only, and it appeared he listened.

What are your thoughts on this? Would it help or hurt Hardcore Computer to do this?

donpm

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Ok lets say your goal is to be capable of 3 way sli and a top preforming MB and power supply. And you went and bought these items now.

1. A top of the line Motherboard with 3 way sli: $325.00
2. A top of the line 1200w Power Supply or better: $275.00
3. A top of the line water cooling: $450.00
4. A nice case: $175.00

That is $1,225.00. So the price point would have to fall in that range. Also you have to consider that in order to bring the enthusiast market in, that price should be very competitive. What you really are doing from the company's point of view, is buying marketing power and penetration.

My whole argument is based on the practice of securing the leaders in a consumer market (enthusiast) first, and those consumers intern, "market" the system just by owning one. The remaining consumers will follow the lead consumers. Thus in the end you sell more computers.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Your aguement does not hold water, oil or even cooking fat.
They ain't ever going to sell a LOT of cases. They might sell enough to make a living from it but it's hardly going to be anywhere near the numbers of even highrange normal cases.

akandy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
The main problem is that you don't need to cool every inch of your parts just the hot ones. Its a proprietary nightmare and you don't gain anything from having all your parts in oil. The people that spend this kind of money on a rig want to tinker with it and upgrade on a regular basis not lock it away behind oil. What you have left is the rich people that want to buy it as a novelty.

donpm

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008

Well when you think about it. You have lines running to your 3 video cards, lines to your CPU, and lines to your NB and SB, and maybe your MOFETS. That is 16 in and out lines to your motherboard and all filled with coolant. Now, is it not better, to just submerge it all?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I hope they would consider designing an ATX-friendly case. Maybe even a full line of these so called "fish tanks" (both in a modern, futuristic look and a goofy kid-style aquarium). :) And if the 30 employees at Hardcore Inc. won't, some other company should.

In the meanwhile, I really enjoyed this article: http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

LeafHEAD

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Well first of all the idea of liguid submerging a PC is good, but using oil as a coolant is a bad idea. Oil holds on to heat therefor you have to have the large radiator and fans on it.

I have a system design that has been tested and i should be out with in about 12 months, only moving part is a small pump, no radiator and no fans. And all standard PC parts can be used.