building new system, please help =]

colorfulfly

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
hello everyone, I am building a new computer system and I am kind of noob.

I would like:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor BX80562Q6600 - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
- 2 GB ram

can someone tell me what motherboard i should get? (the cheapest possible that is compatible with everything i want)
can someone tell me if i should get the Q6600 or E8400 for gaming and future proofing?
would i be able to play games like TF2, CoD4, Crysis and other high end games smoothly and at high FPS and smoothly?
what hard drive should i get?
what power supply should I get?

please tell me if there are other things i should know or get.
and also, i plan to over clock my cpu to 3.00 ghz+.
would the Q6600 need any other things if i over clock to 3.00 ghz?

Thanks. please tell me everything i need to know. thanks a lot.

It sounds like you would get a lot of good information by reading some of the other New Build threads. Some of your questions have been beaten into hash there; only you could pick the options you'll like based on your intended uses.
What is your budget? Do you also need to include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and other peripherals in that budget?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
No such thing as future-proofing.

Get 2x2GB of RAM - it's cheap now (~$50). Get a 9800 GT or if you can spend $50 or less more, get a 4850. Just make sure it has good timings (Cas 4 or 5) and standard voltage - 1.8v

Get a P45 motherboard

Check out the 640 GB HDD by Western Digital

Get an aftermarket cooler (www.frostytech.com - xigmatek is a good choice).

That should work for you. Look at the P45 offering and make sure it has the features you want. You'll need a case, DVD drive, an OS, etc as well.

Either the q6600 or e8400 should work fine for gaming. The q may overclock a little easier, but runs a bit warmer and uses 30 extra watts (95 versus 65 for dual cores). The e8400 is a little less expensive and runs at a higher default speed of 3.0. For the motherboard, the asus, gigabyte or msi boards will all work fine and provide some overclocking possibilities. I use asrock; the p43 twins 1600 is a pretty good deal at $70 plus shipping at newegg.com. It comes with ddr2 and ddr3 slots and overclocking jumpers. I have 2 other asrock boards, the p45ts-r and g43 full hd. Look for a p43 or p45 board in your favorite brand.