Which would be better performing?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Currently, I have a 3X750GB RAID 0 array on the Intel controller with my X58 chipset.

I have considered using my highpoint 2300 (PCIe X1 connector) to set up a 4X750GB RAID 5 array, but I'm not sure about performance.

There is also the option of using the existing drives in a RAID 0 if that would improve performance, but I think it is slower than the Intel controller at RAID 0.

I back up every night, so I wouldn't lose hardly any data if a drive failed, but it would be nice to be able to keep going.

Would performance of the RAID 5 array be that much slower, or faster? Would there be any difference?

sub mesa

Distinguished
It would be slower yes. Why do you want to drop your RAID0? Do you have a (full) backup of the data? Never rely on RAID alone to protect your data. A RAID5 is just as (in)secure as a single disk, in my opinion.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I was hoping to keep the system running in case of drive failure, so I could just rebuild the array once the replacement came in.

I do have a full backup, done once a week on Mondays at 9AM, with incremental backups done daily at 9AM.

If RAID 0 on 3 drives is faster than RAID 5 on 4 drives, then I'll keep this setup. It would be too much of a PITA to rebuild Windows 7 for just that.

TRENDING THREADS