Sign in with
Your question

Which would be better performing?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 24, 2010 3:02:33 PM

Currently, I have a 3X750GB RAID 0 array on the Intel controller with my X58 chipset.

I have considered using my highpoint 2300 (PCIe X1 connector) to set up a 4X750GB RAID 5 array, but I'm not sure about performance.

There is also the option of using the existing drives in a RAID 0 if that would improve performance, but I think it is slower than the Intel controller at RAID 0.

I back up every night, so I wouldn't lose hardly any data if a drive failed, but it would be nice to be able to keep going.

Would performance of the RAID 5 array be that much slower, or faster? Would there be any difference?

More about : performing

a c 127 G Storage
February 24, 2010 4:24:57 PM

It would be slower yes. Why do you want to drop your RAID0? Do you have a (full) backup of the data? Never rely on RAID alone to protect your data. A RAID5 is just as (in)secure as a single disk, in my opinion.
a b G Storage
February 24, 2010 8:21:46 PM

I was hoping to keep the system running in case of drive failure, so I could just rebuild the array once the replacement came in.

I do have a full backup, done once a week on Mondays at 9AM, with incremental backups done daily at 9AM.

If RAID 0 on 3 drives is faster than RAID 5 on 4 drives, then I'll keep this setup. It would be too much of a PITA to rebuild Windows 7 for just that.
Related resources
!