Sign in with
Your question

I'm pretty sure I installed my CPU cooler wrong...Help?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 28, 2009 9:20:00 PM

I installed my Cooler Master Hyper N 520 with Arctic Silver 5 on my i7 920. Shortly after, I ran prime95 and saw temps up close to 80C after running it for only 10 minutes. It idles at around 50C. I read some reviews and it seems that most people see max temps around 55C. After going back and rechecking to make sure the brackets were installed correctly, and tightened the nuts as well. This showed no change at all. Could it be a thermal paste problem? Should I have used the stock thermal paste or is there something else im missing? i havent OC'd my cpu at all. Thanks in advance for the help.
December 29, 2009 6:12:38 PM

i did. However, I did not clean the cpu or the heatsink before I applied the thermal paste. Could this be the reason for my lack of conductivity? It seems to me such a minor issue to be responsible for almost 25 degrees of cooling.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2009 6:23:11 PM

I would double check to make sure its seated properly, some times it looks like it is seated right but it isnt. It could also be that you have too much thermal grease.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2009 6:54:04 PM

madman322 said:
i did. However, I did not clean the cpu or the heatsink before I applied the thermal paste. Could this be the reason for my lack of conductivity? It seems to me such a minor issue to be responsible for almost 25 degrees of cooling.

Yes! Too much thermal paste acts like an insulator. Clean off the CPU and heatsink with 90% Alcohol and re-apply the thermal paste.

The AS5 method of applying paste uses too much paste. The best method imo, is to put a very small pea sized ammount of TIM on the CPU and then spread it with your finger covered in clingwrap (DO NOT use your un covered finger!). Arctic Silver,et al are trying to sell TIM after all, their method uses too much TIM.
m
l
December 29, 2009 11:48:04 PM

their method seems great though, it got me better cooling than a thin film of TIM
just saying!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2009 12:56:36 AM

Btw, what clock speed are you running your CPU at? If you over clocked your system, you will not be getting max temps of 55C with Prime 95. 55C maybe what you get at close to stock settings or if they are looking at their temps while playing Crysis or something. Most games don't come close to pushing the CPU like Prime 95.

You probably want to shoot to have idle temps around 40C or lower, with prime 95 temps under 70C. With a Coolmaster Hpyer 212 heatsink and fan on my i7 920, that clock speed is about 3.6ghz with an idle of 35C-39C and Prime 95 will bring it to 70C at max.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2009 7:06:41 PM

^Yes, but if you twist the cooler a few times before installing, air bubles are not a problem.

As for application methods this is all I can say: Use which ever method works best for you.

The AS5 directions never worked like I expected.
m
l
December 30, 2009 7:34:05 PM

lol they sure as hell seem 2 work fine but i have only used as5 2 times once on my p4 once on my c2d.
m
l
!