ericeagle92

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I'm gonna get a 9800 GX2 and i got a 460 Watt power supply as well as a core 2 quad processor. is that enought power?
NVIDIA says that i need more but i've heard people say that those estimates are way off. and what is overclocking exactly?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
read the stickies for overclocking.
go to thermaltake.outervision.com or the newegg one or something for a pretty much exact power consumption calculator.
i personally think that should be good enough if you get a GOOD 460watt PSU...and i dont know any good 460 watt psu's. jsut get an antec earthwatts 500W or corsair or something... save you a lot of hassle.

The Corsair 450 watt may be enough but tbh you can get promotional deals that will allow you to get a better psu for less money so why select a 460 watt?

Watch newegg and tigerdirect or whatever vendor is available in your area.

Another thing to consider is if you are or might think later of going crossfire then you definitely should get a higher end psu.

It's going to depend on how many amps that PSU outputs on its 12v Rail and if it can actually sustain that. If it's a good name brand then it should. If it's one of the cheaper cooler master or a Raidmax PSU you're pushing your luck so at least make sure it has trip protection, and if it's a Linkworld or something well, have the fire extinguisher ready.

TRENDING THREADS