Building a decent gaming system on a budget..ish

Kaptain

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hey, finally looking to do away with my laptop in favour of a nice new gaming system. I'm an advanced user but i'm new to building systems. I have a budget to stick to, but everything i found is in the budget. Basically i'm looking for a bit of advice on what i've found, any compatibility issues, or anything I have missed out. Any help would be much appreciated :).

CASE: NZHT Hush
POWER SUPPY: 420W (standard with case)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (probably wont be overclocking it)
MOBO: Asus P5QL Pro P43 Chipset (wanted PCIe 2.0)
RAM: 2GB DDR2 PC6400
VIDEO: ATi Radeon HD 4850 (essential)
HD: 250Gb not too fussed

I guess one major concern is the power supply, ive seen some say that an e8400/4850 combo will work on a 420W, but others say a minimum of 500W, so im unsure.

How does that look?

Kaptain

The PSU that comes with that case is almost certainly crap. The HUSH listed on Newegg doesn't include a PSU.
Get something from Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Seasonic, or Enermax. For a single 4850 GPU, 500W is a reasonable minimum. Any more than 550W is probably more expensive than you need, since you aren't planning to overclock or Crossfire another GPU.
If you have to in order to make budget, drop the CPU back to an e7200.
Choose RAM that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V. I prefer Mushkin, but A-Data has some that's a little cheaper.

Kaptain

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Right, gotcha, thanks a lot for your help :)

Found an LC Silent Giant 550W for £40 on my build, seems reasonable, any issues with that one? I wont keep doing this for every component :D

Thanks again