Newbie trying to build workstation graphics machine. Help!!

xinixr

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hello,

I'm a first time builder trying to get a system together to do pretty heavy 3d-modeling work. Primarily using Rhino 4.0 which I believe will only use one core. I've had trouble finding Rhino benchmarks, so I'm basing my graphics card choice on benchmarks for similar products. I'll be doing some rendering, which will take advantage of multiple cores, but that is only a small portion of the work I do. I have money to spend, so let me know if you think I'm being to stingy on anything. I do plan on exploring overclocking, though it will be my first time...

Please see my proposed system below. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45
ATI FireGL V7600
Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB
Corsair 650W CMPSU-650tX PSU
Antec P182 Case
Windows XP Professional 64bit

I haven't listed any aftermarket cooling, though I am completely open for suggestions. My plan is to get the system running without OC, with stock fans, and then invest in cooling and explore OC later.

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Looks pretty good, but I would say even though Rhino may not be multi-threaded at the moment, it would be a good idea to go for a Quad core, namely one of the Yorkfields. You never know if you may use some other program in the future that is multi-threaded, in which case a Quad will serve you well.

Also, as far as the workstation graphics go, the Nvidia offerings tend to be a bit better, but either way, you're good to go.