• Samsung

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Seagate/Miniscribe/Maxtor/Conner/Quantum/DEC Data Storage

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Toshiba/Fujitsu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Other (Lacia, HP and other rebranded products)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Seagate is not in my consideration anymore due to their crappy quality these days.

WD BLACK is my favorite now, nevertheless it is noisy compared to other drives!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

compare it to a hitachi 7200rpm 2tb drive and you'll find it very quiet I promise.

Seagate.

I've used them throughout the years and they have been always reliable, not to mention they were usually quieter than the rest.

Western Digital would be my second best option - they have been great speed demons, but seem to lack the reliability of my seagate drives i've had.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Since seagate owns what's left of maxtor I would never dare buy a seagate drive. I know they're the only manufacturer shipping retail drives that work in both raid and desktop enviroments equally good, but just the idea that there could be a hint of maxtor breakdown technology in them makes me ignore them completely.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I swore off Deskstar drives back in the Deathstar days, after losing 3 in 2 months. After that, I swore off WD and Seagate due to every one I had failing from a 6.4GB Seagate to a 20GB WD. I spent some time with Maxtor, from a 20Gb drive to a 300GB drive, but then they got bought out. I never had issues with them despite others complaining. I then went back to Seagate from my 300GB pair to a 1TB pair. Recently, though, I bought 3 750Gb WD Caviar Black drives, mostly because they were so much faster, and I had heard they improved reliability.

I still don't trust Hitachi or Samsung at this point. I haven't seen any evidence that they improved their reliability. Toshiba laptop drives are the ones I would stay away from the most.

At this point, due to the warranties of various drives and my lack of finding bad drives, I'd say my top is Seagate, but a very close second would be WD.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
the deathstar drives were only bad between 10 and 80GB - because of humidity collecting inside the drive. Those were bad days....
as for WD - I've had 3 raptors break, and one 8GB drive - and 9 500GB drives ... but in contrast I've probably had to scrap over 50 maxtor slim drives (between 20 and 80gb) ... I however was running raid boxes with 16x hitachi 250gb sata drives for 3 or 4 years (scrapped now) without any issues of note. Never sent a drive in for repair. They're just so damn loud that I'll never buy another one.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Depends on the job (requirements, size, interface etc), some times WD is better, other times it's a Sammy, last year Seagate would have been a consideration (but probably not now).

Every drive manufacturer has high and lows, at the moment WD are on a high and Seagate are suffering from the fall-out from the Maxtor takeover followed by the 7200.11 fiasco; Sammy F1's wern't too good, but the F3's make-up for it.

To be fair to Hitachi, the DeathStars were bad when IBM were making them, Hitachi got stung (Big Time) when they bought the company and have done a first class job in getting them sorted, if you need a PATA drive Hitachi should be on the list.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
What's wrong with the F1? I've only ever bought two, but I don't recall having had any problems with them and I haven't heard of firmware bugs like those of seagate either ....

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I have (personaly) had quality problems with F1's, (DOA's and failures within the first few months etc.), Every F3 I have used (so far) has been 100%.

Only problem with Samsung is they are a very big company, the HD business is a very small part, so after sales support (when something goes wrong) is often left to the reseller...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Okay - support is where wd shines - drives do break, but they'll be replaced and the process is very simple. In fact I've even dropped a wd drive in the parking lot and it was replaced - they could somehow see it was broken prior to me dropping it. hitachi support sucks balls in comparison, and with seagate I've had a broken (new) drive sent in twice without them fixing it - I then tossed it into the electronics trash container.