This seems to be a multifaceted problem.

1: When I try to install a program the system tries to use the windows
installer program. I get the following message: The Windows Installer
Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in
safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact

2: When I go to services to check if the Windows Installed is running and
automatic if find that the services page is not available and is blank in
the extended tab but does show up in the standard tab. This is new as I was
able to see the services before on the extended tab.

3: Using the standard tab/page and going down to the Windows Installer line
I see that it is blank in the status column but shows as automatic in the
startup type column When I go to start it I get the message: Could not start
the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied.
It shows path to executable as C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V and this
path is correct although I don't know what the "/V" means.

I don't know if this is actually one problem or several problems. Any
assistance would be appreciates.

I run Windows XP Prof SP2 and all updates are applied.

Regards,

Werner

"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> This seems to be a multifaceted problem.
>
> 1: When I try to install a program the system tries to use the windows
> installer program. I get the following message: The Windows Installer
> Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows
> in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
> Contact ....
>
> 2: When I go to services to check if the Windows Installed is running and
> automatic if find that the services page is not available and is blank in
> the extended tab but does show up in the standard tab. This is new as I
> was able to see the services before on the extended tab.
>
> 3: Using the standard tab/page and going down to the Windows Installer
> line I see that it is blank in the status column but shows as automatic in
> the startup type column When I go to start it I get the message: Could not
> start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is
> denied. It shows path to executable as C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V
> and this path is correct although I don't know what the "/V" means.
>
> I don't know if this is actually one problem or several problems. Any
> assistance would be appreciates.

I am also unable to access the "Help and Support Page".

> I run Windows XP Prof SP2 and all updates are applied.
>
> Regards,
>
> Werner

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
;555175]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];555175

"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> This seems to be a multifaceted problem.
>
> 1: When I try to install a program the system tries to use the windows installer
> program. I get the following message: The Windows Installer Service could not be
> accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows
> Installer is not correctly installed. Contact ....
>
> 2: When I go to services to check if the Windows Installed is running and automatic
> if find that the services page is not available and is blank in the extended tab
> but does show up in the standard tab. This is new as I was able to see the services
> before on the extended tab.
>
> 3: Using the standard tab/page and going down to the Windows Installer line I see
> that it is blank in the status column but shows as automatic in the startup type
> column When I go to start it I get the message: Could not start the Windows
> Installer service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied. It shows path to
> executable as C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V and this path is correct although
> I don't know what the "/V" means.
>
> I don't know if this is actually one problem or several problems. Any assistance
> would be appreciates.
>
> I run Windows XP Prof SP2 and all updates are applied.
>
> Regards,
>
> Werner

The big problem now is I can't get to "Help and Support".

I am being redirected to a website on Troubleshooting Windows XP. This is
not where I want to go. I got the instruction from Kelly's site.

regards.

"TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
> ;555175]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];555175
>

> "Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> This seems to be a multifaceted problem.
>>
>> 1: When I try to install a program the system tries to use the windows
>> installer program. I get the following message: The Windows Installer
>> Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows
>> in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.
>> Contact ....
>>
>> 2: When I go to services to check if the Windows Installed is running and
>> automatic if find that the services page is not available and is blank in
>> the extended tab but does show up in the standard tab. This is new as I
>> was able to see the services before on the extended tab.
>>
>> 3: Using the standard tab/page and going down to the Windows Installer
>> line I see that it is blank in the status column but shows as automatic
>> in the startup type column When I go to start it I get the message: Could
>> not start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 5:
>> Access is denied. It shows path to executable as
>> C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V and this path is correct although I
>> don't know what the "/V" means.
>>
>> I don't know if this is actually one problem or several problems. Any
>> assistance would be appreciates.
>>
>> I run Windows XP Prof SP2 and all updates are applied.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Werner

Why doesn't Help and Support work?

Troubleshooting Help and Support