problem with i7 920

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I bought a velicoraptor and reinstalled vista with the 64bit to get full use of my 6gb of ram but in cpu-z my core speed for the i7 keeps going from 1600MHz to 2800 MHz but mostly staying at 1600MHz. When I was running 32bit vista I had a constant 2800MHz core speed. Did I do something wrong???

That is normal. The i7 lowers the multiplier when it has little to do. It is one way to save power. If you go to the control panel/power options/change plan settings/processor power management you can select the minimum and maximum percent for the processor state. You want the max at 100%. If you always want to see 2800, then set the min to 100% also. It is probably better to leave it at 50% or the default.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
raptor in not in raid is waste of money
you can get 3 750 gb drives in 2 x raid0 and 3rd storage and it is much faster

do not get me wrong i have 2 raptors in this machine - but i have 2 not 1! in raid!

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah but they usually aren't the ones who build them. the vast majority of computer users wouldn't know the first thing they saw if they opened the side panel (if they could even manage to do that)

so when i see someone in this thread talking about their build, i assume they know a bit about PC's..

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

I did not know about this feature. Bet theres plenty of others too.

WHAT?! What does raptors in RAID have to do with the OP's post and this thread?

As I have said many times before.....

SPEEDSTEP STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!

Its a normal thing. Its Intels energy saving feature. What it does, and its in all Core 2s as weel, is it lowers the multiplier when you are not heavily using the CPU. Now I believe that Core i7 has a bit more advanced version that watches the CPU load itself and determins how high it needs to go.

But with most if the CPU sees a 20% load it will ramp the multiplier back up to max for optimal performance. It wont hurt a thing but will use less power when idle or doing minimal tasks such as web browsing.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Thanks all and yes I am very newb at the bios and all that, but trying to learn about it hence why I joined the forum and I must admit this forum is amazing and everyone is super helpful. Thanks for dealing with my newbie questions.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
You got backwards you can overclock with any cooling - your should just oc to the same level

if you got a stock cooler run it at 3.2-3.4ghz buy running stree programs and keeping your temps under 70c at max ouput over time.

if your temps stablize below 70c your fine you never do that in the real world with a quad - unless you play chess, do 3d creation or other multi-core apps

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Oh, I just bought 3dmark vantage. what other programs do I need? Also I really don't do much other then play CS, L4D, watch bluray movies and mainly play online poker.

Dude for CS and L4D you won't need to OC that much at all. hell mine runs the game on max everything at only 3GHz (Q6600). The game is awesome and yes L4D takes advantages of quads.

OCing it would only push you into the above and not sure what it is 300FPS cap.

And 3DMark is a usless tool. It doesn't show true performance of a machine.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Good thing the site was down so i couldn't buy 3d mark. And in L4D i can only get like 130fps and when i put all the video settings on high it was lagging.