How remove unknown restriction on Admin account

Tony Anselm

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Some unknown program hijacked my main Administrator account and put an unknown restriction on it. All programs recommended to deal with this deal only with *password* recovery and resetting. But my system accepts my password. It just says, there's a "restriction" on it, so that I cannot use the Admin account to work on my computer. Most people know the result: I cannot reset anything, like programs in Services.
I have looked in the registry for "Administrator" and my password for it but can find nothing that seems relevant and/or that I can understand. Thank you for any advice you can give. billsteo@verizon.net

Solution

The Best thing to do is back up all your personal files, pictures to DVD etc...reformat the drive, and install a fresh...

The Best thing to do is back up all your personal files, pictures to DVD etc...reformat the drive, and install a fresh operating system. This is the only certain way to remove accumulated hoards of malicious software from the computer, and to be sure that the corrupt administrator policies have been defaulted.
Further, using a professional antivirus (example norton or panda) instead of a free one, will insure that these types of invasions do not occur in the future.

Your best chance is to install, use a professional antivirus, update the product, and scan entire computer, to get rid of the existing problem, but the system may already be too corrupted to install it, repair it.
Downloading free "fix it" programs, that claim to "clean" your computer, generally do not produce the results that you are looking for. It might actually make the problem worse...

So, instead of spending a bunch of time, and pulling your hair out trying to repair a corrupt installation, it's much faster and simpler to back up files, junk it and start over with a freshie.

BUT before trying anything, back up all your personal files, FIRST.

Solution

Tony Anselm

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
soundguruman
thank you. My computer serviceman said this. But I kept fighting with my beast. I've saved my files and some settings. Trouble is: he charges $89 to do what you suggest, re-install Windows, SPs etc.
PS. I have paid-up professional AVG on my computer. The cause of the problem can be traced to my using a forgotten tweak program.
God bless you.