XP Pro - changes to group policy can't be undone

time2innov8

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
A little bit of knowledge and a `google search` can be dangerous! :non:

PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 has an administrator account (administrator) and limited account (operator). The initial problem was that an external device (control keyboard) connected to the serial port would only be recognised under the admin login (Both operator and admin accounts run proprietary software for a CCTV system).

Actions carried out:

Looked in msconfig for any application that were being started, none found that are related to problem.

Changed operator account type to administrator level, external device still not recognised.

Looked on 'google' for assistance, found threads related to group editor policy that seemed like they offered a solution. In the group editor I changed a setting - Remove programs on settings menu. When the admin account was logged off and on I found the effect of this change, I could not access the control panel and despite trying other methods (run command, windows explorer etc I could not get back to Admin settings to cancel the change. At this point I "jumped from the frying pan into the fire" when I changed the options for the start menu to simple classic mode, now all I can access from the start button is printers!!, right clicking on the desktop makes no difference either.

Is there a way to undo my changes to restore the settings back to their original settings before I "tinkered" with the group editor?

Any help will be appreciated.

Stuart

1. Restart your computer and press [F8] during the initial startup, once per second
2. When you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select the Safe Mode with a Command Prompt option.
3. Select the Windows XP operating system.
4. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. Type the following command at a command prompt:
C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

When you see the System Restore window, the graphics may look odd, but you can still follow the onscreen instructions to restore your computer to an earlier state.

time2innov8

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the response Tigsounds, unfortunately I cannot follow the procedure given as the command prompt access is also disabled (even in safe mode)!!

I was wondering if a bootable cd that could run the system restore process would be an option I could consider?

Bootable CD to perform System Restore? Sure....

I have one posted at 4Shared.com. Get the CD ISO file named only "2005" by clicking
HERE.

Make new CD and boot with it. When it gets to the point af asking about networking, click "Skip Networking" and allow it to finish loading. One option you will find is the ability to do a System Restore (among other cool things).

4Shared.com will make you wait a few seconds befoore starting the download. It's a better free hosting site than many I've seen, but still, sorry about the mandatory wait to start downloading. File is about 158MB.

time2innov8

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the link to the CD image, downloaded it and tried it on a windows XP laptop that I simulated the symptoms on. The system restore could be successfully carried out. Will be back on site next week, once I have tried the CD on the offending pc I will report back with the results.

Stuart

time2innov8

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Tried the 2005 iso file on the respective pc, everything was looking good until I got the dreaded bsod with a 7B error. Repeayed attempts gave the same results although the cd drive is functioning correctly as it runs UBCD4WIN ok.
I have created a USB bootable version of the 2005 iso which works correctly on my test laptop, when I get back to site I will let you know if it works.

Stuart