Optical cables, which one?

scpunx

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
i need a 2m optical cable but there are so many as so many different prices.
i want to know is the dearer ones make much of a different to the cheaper ones and what one is the best one to get, to give me good quilty suround sound.

this is a cheaper one im lookin at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140270369926&Category=116850&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2 would there be any differents between that an this Belkin one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/72978.

any suggestions on the best good one at a good price would be good, or any other information i should know..

thanks.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Im probably going to get flamed by someone for this but...

Its an optical cable, it send light signals, for digital (off or on)... how in the hell can one work better than the other... the light either gets there or it doesnt. Cheapest cable you can find as long as it works will be no different to the dearest one you can find.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
unless all your other components are ultra high end, you will not notice the difference between the optical cables. chookman is right, it's a digital signal, as long as the cable works, you'll be fine.

a computer is hardly considered an ultra high end piece of audio equipment, go for the sensible purchase. =)

hannibal

Distinguished
Hi!

The fellows above are right. I personally have supra cables and they definitely are state of the art cables, but there is not difference in sound compared to really cheap no name cables I also have. The problem with those cheap was the connection. It was loose compared to Supra. So they could unblug them by themselves when those made by Subra were tighter and keep their plase better. But no differense in guality otherwise.
The cheap one cost 6-8€ and subra 65€ with discount...
I am really happy with my subra cables though. The connection is really good and it feels better when it's allso several times sturdier than those cheap ones, but i allso use half inch thick audiocables and so on, so I can only blame myself :)

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I dislike Belkin (they can't even make a decent CAT5 cable anymore), and just ignore Monster Cables (overpriced trash). Anything else is good, as long as you don't step on it, or coil it too tightly. Remember all it does is pass a light signal, so usually one is as good as another.

CNET Testing laboratories have done comprehensive testing of a large variety of audio and video cables, mostly for home theater systems. The test results have not found any difference between low cost and high cost a/v cables.

CNET recommended http://www.monoprice.com for audio and video cables.

I have purchased hdmi cables, fiber optic cables, and USB cables from the company. I have not experienced any problems. Highly recommended.

For longer runs of cable, or tight bends, higher quality optical cable does actually work better. However, unless you're running a LOT of cable or running it around a really tight bend, I'd just go with the cheap stuff.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Wow, cant believe no-one really disagreed with me...

The big thing is not to listen to salesman they just want your money...

Ohh and remember its optical cable, which is actually glass they can break pretty easily so dont go stomping on it coiling it really tight (or bending at right angles)

I have to agree with hannibal. The overall build of the cable is important too. I have a optical cable that looks well enough built but the shield that covers the tip is always comming lose when I pull the cable out. (I switch it between my ps3 and 360) Hasn't caused any problems yet, but it's scary. I paid 25 bucks for my cable. So it's something I'll prolly just wind up gluing when I get around to it.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah don't listen to the salesman.. like dad rang this place yesterday inquiring about a printer, and the salesman told him the cartidges couldn't be refilled. he rang a print refiller and the salesman there told him of course they could be refilled :lol:

of course the printer salesman wanted dad to buy $50 printer cartridges every time he ran out... do your own research and dont listen to salesmen! :lol:

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I found a company who terminates fibre optic cables for industry and who knows what else.

I was told that the good cable which they use all of the time can transmit light for kilometers, salesman in a store said 2 meters max!

Maybe the crap cable I almost bought there was limited to two meters?

I paid half of the price of the cable I nearly bought instore and it was a meter longer, as a bonus I also got a 1m cable both terminated with SPDIF Toslink connectors.

I did not expect these cables to be so tough, they are coated in teflon and are great for my audio listening pleasure.