Simple Ram question

jayhawk5

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Just upgraded my cpu to a phenom 9600...When I start my system it POSTs fine when i have 2 stick of ram installed on my MB (2GB x 2), but wont come on when I have 4 sticks installed (2GB x 2) and (1GB x2) for a total of 6GB. The sets of Ram are different brands if this matters...basically I had an extra 2GB laying around and thought that I would put them to use.

Before I updated my cpu, had an Athlon 5200 before, it seemed to work fine @6gb, I did have to update my bios to install the new pc...not sure if this effects it.

Also I don't have an OS installed on my pc right now this could be what’s doing it.

M2n-sli deluxe (1604 bios update) - supports up to 8g ram
-it says in my MB manual that you can have any combo of Ram in the slots so long as you have identical sticks in the slots that go together yellow and black. – the 2gbx2 are in yellow and the 1gbx2 in black.
phenom 9600

the 2gbx2 is Cosair
the 1gb x1 is GSkill
windows vista 64bit

I'm kinda a noob and any input would be greatly appreciated

G

The best thing to do is contact the ram manufacture and see if the ram has been tested to work on that mb. Also on the asus mb's you do need to have ALL identical ram even down to the manufacture because every manu has different latency and it could cause your system to be very unstable if you use different ram or even ram that was not qualified to work. Like for example some ram will work with only one stick...then some might only work with 2 sticks and then others will only work with 4 sticks, but then there is ram that will work with 1, 2, or 4.

Make sure you check the Qualified Venders List (QVL) or contact memory manufacture before purchasing the ram or you could end up wasting your money.

jayhawk5

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
i know they both work on my MB i have used them both on there before...its no big deal I will just use the 2gbx2 or buy another 2 sticks of that kind if they go on sale again after making sure they will work.

jayhawk5

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
2gbx2

Model
Brand CORSAIR
Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-18
Voltage 1.9V
Heat Spreader Yes
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

1gbx2

Model
Brand G.SKILL
Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-15
Voltage 1.8V - 2.0V
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

if its the winnex sticks you will have to set the voltage for them at 2.085v just like the other ram sticks. but they are different timings so i don't know if the Corsair ram will run at 5-5-5-15 or vise versa. a BIOS upgrade may help too as they usually improve ram compatibility

RAM rule #! - never mix and match brands. this is why they sell dual and tri channel kits so all the ram would be the same