Sign in with
Your question

HARDDRIVE SPEED PROBLEM.HELP ME NERDS

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2010 5:59:44 AM

HELLO ive built my own computer about a year ago and am always upgrading etc.

i just was given a NEW 80 GB ATA HDD and i connected it to the IDE ribbon cable (only device on IDE cable) and set the jumper to master, i have my OS running on my SATA drive.
anyway after i formatted the new drive i thought id backup some data from my SATA to the new ATA but its ridiculously slow, if i try copy just 17 GBs its estimated time is 133 minutes and the progress bar is like a snail. one thing that also happens is when the ATA drive is in use, my cursor stutters and isnt smooth. i tryed swapping IDE cables, i tryed plugging it into the different ide slot, ive tried changing it from master to slave in case it was conflicting with the sata (which it doesnt) . ive had the problem before with my ATA dvd writer, even with the cursor problem, but somehow after opening it up and playing around with the cable the dvd drive was going fine (dunno what i did) but i cant seem to solve this error.

my mobo is a GA-MA-770 rev 1.

if you help me i will love you long time
a c 127 G Storage
February 25, 2010 7:04:00 AM

You have a PIO issue. To confirm, download and run HDTune and run the normal benchmark. You will see a flat line result score and high CPU utilization due to PIO interrupts.

To solve this, go to device manager and delete the Primary/Secondary IDE controller, uninstalling it. Then simply reboot and it will be re-found, but without PIO issues.

Note however, that windows switching to PIO means your harddrive experienced a 'hick-up'. This can occur if your cabling is bad or if your harddrive has some (minor) defect. If the PIO issues return, look for a deeper cause like replacing the cabling and running surface checks on the harddrive.
m
l
February 25, 2010 8:18:55 AM

sub mesa said:
You have a PIO issue. To confirm, download and run HDTune and run the normal benchmark. You will see a flat line result score and high CPU utilization due to PIO interrupts.

To solve this, go to device manager and delete the Primary/Secondary IDE controller, uninstalling it. Then simply reboot and it will be re-found, but without PIO issues.

Note however, that windows switching to PIO means your harddrive experienced a 'hick-up'. This can occur if your cabling is bad or if your harddrive has some (minor) defect. If the PIO issues return, look for a deeper cause like replacing the cabling and running surface checks on the harddrive.

thank you for your reply, i went and uninstalled the primary and secondary (there were 2 each) but when it comes to uninstalling the primary ones, it asks me to restart, so i clicked yes and when it finished restarting i got the same error, perhaps i should unplug the hdd to prevent it from asking me to restart, i know ur solution will work with my PC cause i know its not a hardware error as ive already swaped IDE ribbon cables and changed jumper settings etc. grrr stupid XP sometimes. HELP HELP HELP
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2010 8:39:49 AM

sub mesa said:

I went into the primary and secondary IDE properties in device manager and enabled DMA instead of PIO and rebooted a few times, its now selected as DMA but still has the same PIO stupid problems .SIGH :( 
m
l
a b G Storage
February 25, 2010 10:57:26 AM

You might try pulling out your motherboard CD, and reinstalling the chipset drivers, or see if a newer version is available on the gigabyte site and install them.
m
l
February 25, 2010 11:03:29 AM

jitpublisher said:
You might try pulling out your motherboard CD, and reinstalling the chipset drivers, or see if a newer version is available on the gigabyte site and install them.

nope tryed that, dont work :( 
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 25, 2010 11:28:26 AM

Delete both controllers (not the harddrive, but Primary IDE controller etc.) without rebooting, then reboot manually.

If that doesn't work run HDTune and post the SMART information from the HDD here. That will show us whether you have cable problems or HDD defect.
m
l
February 26, 2010 3:30:32 AM

sub mesa said:
Delete both controllers (not the harddrive, but Primary IDE controller etc.) without rebooting, then reboot manually.

If that doesn't work run HDTune and post the SMART information from the HDD here. That will show us whether you have cable problems or HDD defect.

hey i did all that and when i manually rebooted the HDD hadnt appeared yet but the two primary controllers were on DMA and MULTIWORD DMA, but when the harddrive is detected the second PRIMAY CONTROLLER goes back to PIO. the first primary controller is always on DMA which is good, but the 2nd PRimary controller is always reverting back to PIO, when it reverted it told me that it had finished installing new devices and wanted restart,so i did, and it didnt help..
i used HDtune and it shows the health status as "OK" but it flat lines unlike my sata drives, which is what you predicted. im getting so frustrated, i cant even plug in a bloody harddrive and im supposed to be a technician. god windows xp is a total failure when it comes to this, you would have thought they would have fixed it in one of the numerous service packs. also, written on this ATA HDD with the problem it says to go into bios and change it to LBA mode which i have and still no luck.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 26, 2010 4:57:29 AM

Can you post the SMART data of the drive that is running in PIO? It might be that physical damage of your HDD is causing Windows to downgrade from DMA to PIO every time.
m
l
February 26, 2010 5:29:48 AM

sub mesa said:
Can you post the SMART data of the drive that is running in PIO? It might be that physical damage of your HDD is causing Windows to downgrade from DMA to PIO every time.

ok i tryed getting a log in HDtune. sorry but how do i get SMART details?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
February 26, 2010 6:04:44 AM

Please post like that, and make sure all data is visible (i.e. no vertical scroll bar).
m
l
a b G Storage
February 26, 2010 9:30:03 AM

I don't think its an XP issue. Where do you buy new IDE 80GB harddrives these days? Whats the story on the drive?
m
l
February 26, 2010 10:30:48 AM

What brand hard drive?
Western Digital has a setting for master, slave, and single drive.
Could be your problem.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 26, 2010 10:44:43 AM

All IDE drives have a jumper for Master, Slave not just WD. Seagate, Maxtor, etc all have to have the jumper.
m
l
February 26, 2010 11:32:07 AM

80GB new drive!! Jesus man!! A new WD 1TB drive costs like 80 bucks!! throw it away and get a SATA drive. It's not even worth the hustle you've been through this far!
m
l
!