Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded from E8400 to Q9400..issues issues issues..

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2008 3:14:40 PM

Hi,
put together a comp back in the spring mostly for gaming, everyday use so I went with the E8400 CPU. (computer has run great)
Since then I bought a Canon HF100 camcorder with a pain in the butt codec (AVCHD)
Its very very power hungry during editing and because of that, and things Ive read I decided to jump to a Q9400. (i am not an overclocker, dont really know how)

Putting it on the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 motherboard
that I already owned and "said" it could handle quad-cores..
It came up as a Xeon PIII in windows.

I updated my bios to the newest (beta) which said it supported the Q9400 (how well is the question)
and now it comes up in windows as the "correct" processor. (2.66 quad)

While its not getting horrible performance, I do notice in everyday windows app's, my computer doesnt seem to be running quite as well. (i understand
most reg app's don't see the quad, but I still thought it would be a slight improvement over the old chip)

In the video editor (Sony Vegas), its supposed to support quad core editing, but the performance is definitely less than with the duo.

So with all that boring back story out of the way I have a few questions.

- If I open PC wizard and minimize it, it shows the CPU speed in real time, and 98% of the time its saying "2000MHz"
and then occasionally jumps to 2666MHz for a couple seconds then goes back to 2000MHz. Is this normal? Just a bug in the PC wizard software? or?

-Link to Gigabytes chip support chart for this motherboard Do you guys think even though this motherboard "says" it can support it..that its just messing things up?

- Using that chart on that gigabyte website opinions on if any other quads would work at a good improvement over my 8400? Or is it just not worth it
with this MotherBoard? Im afraid if i buy a different quad, because of this motherboard im going to have the same issues. Is that legit? Or should I trust
if gigabyte says it supports it, that it supports it.

- Are there settings somewhere doing something that I can improve performance?

- Lastly, I have an OEM version of Win XP (cant transfer the licence).. would changing out the motherboard and chip be enough for windows to say..
"your hardware has changed too much, you need to rebuy XP" Not interested in having to get a new chip, new MB, new OS..etc. Might as well build
a new comp all together.

Any advice with any of the things mentioned is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
-Chris
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2008 3:42:11 PM

Rippie said:
In the video editor (Sony Vegas), its supposed to support quad core editing, but the performance is definitely less than with the duo.
While editing, take a look at the task manager, are all 4 cores under load? Maybe the editing software is at fault here. Maybe someone could suggest an better editor?
Rippie said:
- If I open PC wizard and minimize it, it shows the CPU speed in real time, and 98% of the time its saying "2000MHz"
and then occasionally jumps to 2666MHz for a couple seconds then goes back to 2000MHz. Is this normal? Just a bug in the PC wizard software? or?
Yes that is normal, when not used, the CPU "downclocks" itself to save power and reduce heat.
December 12, 2008 4:01:17 PM

If I open PC wizard and minimize it, it shows the CPU speed in real time, and 98% of the time its saying "2000MHz"

Yes. While idol it'll be 2MHz.

-Link to Gigabytes chip support chart for this motherboard Do you guys think even though this motherboard "says" it can support it..that its just messing things up?

No

- Using that chart on that gigabyte website opinions on if any other quads would work at a good improvement over my 8400? Or is it just not worth it
with this MotherBoard? Im afraid if i buy a different quad, because of this motherboard im going to have the same issues. Is that legit? Or should I trust if gigabyte says it supports it, that it supports it.

It supports it.

Are there settings somewhere doing something that I can improve performance?

OC. But it's not a great OC'er.

- Lastly, I have an OEM version of Win XP (cant transfer the licence).. would changing out the motherboard and chip be enough for windows to say.. "your hardware has changed too much, you need to rebuy XP" Not interested in having to get a new chip, new MB, new OS..etc. Might as well build a new comp all together.

I don't know. Sorry.

Going from a 3GHz 8400 to a 2.66GHz Q9400 will see a performance hit for single thread apps.
Related resources
December 12, 2008 4:02:41 PM

OC. But it's not a great OC'er. Motherboard that is.
+1 Zenthar
December 12, 2008 5:18:30 PM

Quote:
- Lastly, I have an OEM version of Win XP (cant transfer the licence).. would changing out the motherboard and chip be enough for windows to say.. "your hardware has changed too much, you need to rebuy XP" Not interested in having to get a new chip, new MB, new OS..etc. Might as well build a new comp all together.

No as long as you have the key you should be able to reuse it. You can do this three or four times before you have to call and get it reactivated which cost nothing.
December 24, 2008 2:44:53 AM

I think the mb is the issue i have the Q9400 and its very fast and my friend has the E8400 and my cpu beats it in every thing so i would try another mb other than that i don't have a clue.
!