I think it's the mobo

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
My computer has been acting weird as of late. It has been randomly shutting down and when it does it will hang in the bios or shut off while in the bios menu which leads me to think it's the motherboard. Also, it will not hold my overclocked setting anymore when it did so for several months just fine. RAM is fine, cpu is fine, though it does say there was a problem with ati when it restarts I cannot imagine the video card (4870) contributing to this while the bios is loading. Any thoughts or suggestions would help. Otherwise it's time for P45 :p

Agreed, we need more info. Power comes to mind which points to the power supply.

We need to know if you added any hardware, installed any new software or made and changes around the time the problem started.

If you could get your hands on another power supply and test your system that would be nice.

Give us the list of your hardware specs too...

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Well the power supply is a 800W ocz eliteXstream and I recieved 2 DOA ps before this so I'm thinking there's no way in hell I'm unlucky enough to go through 3 power supplies in not even 4 months but who knows. It is definitely more than enough power for my system, 1 hard drive, q9450, 4870, 4gbs memory and 5 case fans. Also, everything I entered into the bios was getting ignored. Wouldn't detect my wireless keyboard, overclock settings as well as a few other tweaks I made. I reset everything started it up and none of my setting were applied and than it shut off yet again though it did let me log into vista for a few minutes. I've also done some pretty decent overclocks in the past and the PS has been nothing but rock solid for me even when once doing my own personal stress test of prime and crysis at the same type for hours on end.

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Oh and a gigabyte p35-ds3R is the mobo and it has been updated with the latest drivers as well as all my drivers and windows are up to date. I clean out my drivers etc and I did visually check the mobo to see if any resistors looked blown and could not find any.