Sign in with
Your question

How to Transfer Data Between Two Hard Drives in LINUX

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2010 9:02:28 AM

Dear sir,
Could you please tell me How to Transfer Data Between Two Hard Drives in LINUX ?
I hope a positive response from any one else,
thanks in advance
Meressa Abrha
e-mail:merchemaau@gmail.com
a c 126 G Storage
February 25, 2010 11:34:13 AM

You did not specify what kind of Linux you are using.
Also not whether your disks are SATA/PATA etc.

But generally, you can try the dd command.

First, open a terminal, and execute:

dmesg | grep sd

exactly like that, it should give you a list of your harddrives (/dev/sda or /dev/sdb). Once you know which is which, by looking at the size of the drives, you can try the dd command below:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

NOTE: In this example /dev/sda is the source/read device and /dev/sdb is the target/destination device, adjust accordingly. This command will read from disk /dev/sda and write to /dev/sdb, causing /dev/sdb to be an exact copy of /dev/sda. /dev/sdb needs to be at least as large as /dev/sda.

WARNING: any mistakes with the dd-command, such as using the wrong device names, may lead to total data loss. Use with care!
a c 126 G Storage
February 25, 2010 11:35:36 AM

Note: my commands will make a clone of /dev/sda and write it to /dev/sdb. If you don't want to clone but just copy files of two normal disks with NTFS on it, you shouldn't use my dd-command.

Please in the future add more information to your query so we may help you with more targeted and specific advice.
a c 415 G Storage
February 25, 2010 4:39:05 PM

> sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

...and just as a cautionary note - don't type this command in verbatim! As sub mesa described, make sure you know which device ("/dev/sdx") is which before you start and use the right device names in the right positions in the command. That last thing you want to do is copy in the wrong direction!
!