Question about Phenom II 550BE Core Unlocking

sc10e

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
So I've done a lot of research on this, and I haven't had any success with it, so I'm just about ready to say it's my mobo that won't let me do it, but I thought I would refer here for anything I could have missed.

My mother board is a Jetway MA3-79GDG (Not the Extreme-L or DDR2/3 Combo, the regular version). I haven't seen anyone unlock with this board, nor fail at unlocking with it, I just haven't seen it in any unlocking threads online lol. It has the SB750 chipset that is usually required.

The board does have ACC, but no EC Firmware controls. I just recently updated the BIOS because it was calling the 550 an "Unknown AMD Processor." I have tried all kinds of different voltages up to 1.475 on the processor, and different North Bridge voltages also (although should I be changing the Northbridge VID or Northbridge Core?) and haven't had any success. as soon as I turn on ACC I can't get to post.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
i wouldnt expect that board to allow it tbh. remember that AMD are against people unlocking cores, and generally its onyl the big mobo manufacturers that have stood up to them, and continues to support it.

when i wanted to unlock my 550, i had to upgrade my mobo. cheaper than actually getting a quad core phenom. so maybe its worth it.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-amd-phenom-ii-core-unlocking-guide.html

theres a great list of known unlockable mobos there, as well as all the info you could need on the subject.
but, i dont think your mobo will allow it. obviously, it could also be that you have a genuinely unlokcable proc. its all hit and miss.

glaex

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
you might just need to throw more voltage at it to get it to boot with the disabled cores. amd disables them for a reason, often because they need more than normal voltage, but sometimes because they are just completely shot

Not sure what other options you would have. I looked up your board and did not find any useful info :(

Any plans on upgrading that board in the future? You can get one that unlocks for dirt cheap :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i wouldnt expect that board to allow it tbh. remember that AMD are against people unlocking cores, and generally its onyl the big mobo manufacturers that have stood up to them, and continues to support it.

when i wanted to unlock my 550, i had to upgrade my mobo. cheaper than actually getting a quad core phenom. so maybe its worth it.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-amd-phenom-ii-core-unlocking-guide.html

theres a great list of known unlockable mobos there, as well as all the info you could need on the subject.
but, i dont think your mobo will allow it. obviously, it could also be that you have a genuinely unlokcable proc. its all hit and miss.

Solution
AMD want's people to unlock and overclock. The issue is that AMD want's smart people to do it. People who read before they do anything and educate themselves, so they can teach others on what is needed for such a task and in the end it is a win win situation... With proper cooling and a bit of common sense you can do wonders with these "unlockable" CPU's. Im still waiting on the x2 555BE =(

AMD wants people to overclock if you know what you're doing. They want to give you the perception of value by having a BE CPU. They don't want you to unlock as you'd be buying a quad core are a dual core price. Anyway boards like the jetway generally have the newer code for the SB750 which does not allow for core unlocking. As welshmousepk suggests, you may need to upgrade your board.

megabyteme6662002

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Although I'm a firm believer in RTFM and lmgtfy, it seems weird though you are saying AMD wants to be like a smart peoples club on unlocking the cores...

Seems mildly inappropriate to reply with this to this OPs post.. he started off with " i have done alot of research on this.."

And I have to troll you JUST a little bit here..
you said "smart people" and "want's" in the same paragraph.. :non:

:) Sorry..

RiP_Dimebag

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Ya I don't think that board would do it. There's only 2 or 3 boards I've heard of that successfully unlock this CPUs other 2 cores. I don't think this isn't one of them. Future BIOS updates may change that though.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
yes, AMD wants people to overclock. but NOT to unlock.

thye have stated on numerous times that they dont want people doing it. they disable cores to sell duals, they dont want people getting extra cores for free. hence why the asked many mobo manufacteres not to provide BIOS's that allow for unlocking.

@rip dimebag (and good name btw), there are dozens of boards that can unlock (see link in previous post), but they are pretty much all from big manufacterers (gigabyte,biostar,foxconn)