Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking the Asus Rampage II Gene

Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2009 4:37:11 PM

i7 920 oc guide specific to the asus rampage ii gene. Trying to figure out how to get higher than the auto clocked 3.2. Trying to hit 3.6. The bios settings don't look like the ones that are in the overclocking guides i've found within the forum.
January 1, 2010 6:41:10 PM

I figured it out! Step 1 thru 3 on the i7 overclocking guide are in my bios just worded differently as was stated. Step 4 you have to load the Asus Turbo V software to access
the base clock. I read somewhere that it was not good to tinker with bios settings through windows but this is the only way to access the remaining settings. I did not have to increase the voltage as of yet(noblue screen so far). I have currently overclocked to 3.6 . As you raise the base clock it increases the GHz by .20. So 183 on the base clock will give you 3.6GHz
m
l
January 19, 2010 7:11:26 PM

dpizzle1968 said:
I figured it out! Step 1 thru 3 on the i7 overclocking guide are in my bios just worded differently as was stated. Step 4 you have to load the Asus Turbo V software to access
the base clock. I read somewhere that it was not good to tinker with bios settings through windows but this is the only way to access the remaining settings. I did not have to increase the voltage as of yet(noblue screen so far). I have currently overclocked to 3.6 . As you raise the base clock it increases the GHz by .20. So 183 on the base clock will give you 3.6GHz

dpizzle1968:

I didn't find any guide for this mobo. Can you share with me your bios settings?

Thanks,
Feferefe
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2010 1:42:08 PM

I've since switched to the Asus P6T, to the Evga X58 Sli classified 760 and back to the P6t. This bios are all the same except thigs are worded differently and put in different places.

Here is the P6T link. It's an Asus bios and will give you a better visual. My BCLK is currently at 190 3.9GHz. I don't have a desire to go any higher even though I can. Through this guide I found that my cpu (920) did'nt like his (guide) voltage setting. When I ran Prime 95 the process would fail. My cpu voltage setting of 1.3 is kinda high but still in the safe zone (rec max voltage for the i7 920 1.375v) I never got around to backing down the voltage as I am sure that I can. Make sure that you key in the correct timing for your memory, not what you see in the guide. And the 1.66 on the Dram bus voltage is safe. switch that overclocker mode to manual. You can still get to about 3.6GHz on stock voltages by adjusting your Bclk by itself starting at 133 upward in small increments. Watch your cpu temp when running prime 95. 75* is kinda like the safe zone. That was my peak cpu temp for a day and a half(68* to 75*) with prime 95. Here is the link:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-...
m
l
January 21, 2010 11:39:30 PM

dpizzle1968 said:
I've since switched to the Asus P6T, to the Evga X58 Sli classified 760 and back to the P6t. This bios are all the same except thigs are worded differently and put in different places.

Here is the P6T link. It's an Asus bios and will give you a better visual. My BCLK is currently at 190 3.9GHz. I don't have a desire to go any higher even though I can. Through this guide I found that my cpu (920) did'nt like his (guide) voltage setting. When I ran Prime 95 the process would fail. My cpu voltage setting of 1.3 is kinda high but still in the safe zone (rec max voltage for the i7 920 1.375v) I never got around to backing down the voltage as I am sure that I can. Make sure that you key in the correct timing for your memory, not what you see in the guide. And the 1.66 on the Dram bus voltage is safe. switch that overclocker mode to manual. You can still get to about 3.6GHz on stock voltages by adjusting your Bclk by itself starting at 133 upward in small increments. Watch your cpu temp when running prime 95. 75* is kinda like the safe zone. That was my peak cpu temp for a day and a half(68* to 75*) with prime 95. Here is the link:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-...

Thanks dpizzle1968, Im right now @ 3.3Ghz with the guide you gave me. Im in stock cooler. But I have an issue, I have 2 different memory kits with mixed speeds. One is 3x1GB @1066Mhz 1.5V and the other 3x1GB @1333Mhz 1.5V. What you recommend me to achieve a good Memory OC. I do not understand the latency and clock stuff.

Thanks!
Feferefe
m
l

Best solution

January 22, 2010 12:53:24 AM

feferefe said:
Thanks dpizzle1968, Im right now @ 3.3Ghz with the guide you gave me. Im in stock cooler. But I have an issue, I have 2 different memory kits with mixed speeds. One is 3x1GB @1066Mhz 1.5V and the other 3x1GB @1333Mhz 1.5V. What you recommend me to achieve a good Memory OC. I do not understand the latency and clock stuff.

Thanks!
Feferefe

From my understanding, when the memory is mismatched the higher speed memory is downgraded to the lower memory's speed. I also know that even though they will work, mixing memory is not recommended. Check in that forum on that site or this one for memory overclocking. I was happy to finally get mine to 1600MHz. I got 12G from Fry's on sale for $119 per triple channel pack (3x2G sticks per pack) item #5982474 Patriot G series. I've tried 3 different coolers with that board (V8/V10, some other Fry's junk and Thermalright 120 xtreme. The xtreme was by far the best but I have been checking into the watercooling aspect of it. Check in the memory section of your bios for the current speed and timing.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 1:35:38 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
July 22, 2010 6:23:06 PM

dpizzle1968 said:
From my understanding, when the memory is mismatched the higher speed memory is downgraded to the lower memory's speed. I also know that even though they will work, mixing memory is not recommended. Check in that forum on that site or this one for memory overclocking. I was happy to finally get mine to 1600MHz. I got 12G from Fry's on sale for $119 per triple channel pack (3x2G sticks per pack) item #5982474 Patriot G series. I've tried 3 different coolers with that board (V8/V10, some other Fry's junk and Thermalright 120 xtreme. The xtreme was by far the best but I have been checking into the watercooling aspect of it. Check in the memory section of your bios for the current speed and timing.

Where can I find this guide? I would love to OC my Gene II.

m
l
!