Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Graphic card getting REALLY HOT with Processor overclock

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Graphics Cards
  • Processors
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 29, 2009 10:40:33 PM

I overclocked my processor few days ago, it was my first overclock, i overclocked my i7 920 D0 @ 3.4 Ghz, I think my graphic card overclocked with my processor?
i dont know why but my graphic card is really hot, i dont know the temp but when it touch it its really hot i think it'll burn or something.
I got a crappy nvidia Geforce9400GT 1 GB, how do i fix this?
Im running my i7 920 @ 1.132V or something could someone tell me what to do =/

More about : graphic card hot processor overclock

a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 11:05:52 PM

Download an use speed fan to "know" the temperature of your CPU and GPU.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2009 11:14:43 PM

Yeah, I hate that too when you OC your processor and your vid card gets real hot.

I just keep a big glass of water nearby and if I see ANY smoke I just throw the water on it and that takes care of it. :lol: 

m
0
l
Related resources
December 29, 2009 11:22:56 PM

saint19 said:
Download an use speed fan to "know" the temperature of your CPU and GPU.


Do you know any good program to know the graphic card temp?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 11:23:00 PM

RJR said:
Yeah, I hate that too when you OC your processor and your vid card gets real hot.

I just keep a big glass of water nearby and if I see ANY smoke I just throw the water on it and that takes care of it. :lol: 

amateur ,rather keep a gallon of gasoline handy it solves any pc problem :D 
m
0
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 11:28:11 PM

obsidian86 said:
amateur ,rather keep a gallon os gasoline handy it solves any pc problem :D 


------------

+1, another youngster writing a "reply" for win some points....
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2009 11:42:36 PM

@ Saint, Youngster, HAHAHA, just can't pass up a joke once in a while..........your less than half my age, YOUNGSTER!

@OP http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2009 11:46:24 PM

obsidian86 said:
amateur ,rather keep a gallon of gasoline handy it solves any pc problem :D 


HAHAHA, that works too, but you have to keep moving all the time with that method :lol: 

m
0
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 11:47:53 PM

Quote:
@ Saint, Youngster, HAHAHA, just can't pass up a joke once in a while..........your less than half my age, YOUNGSTER!


I am not refering to the age.... :non: 
m
0
l
December 29, 2009 11:49:30 PM

saint19 said:
Download an use speed fan to "know" the temperature of your CPU and GPU.


It says 78C
m
0
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2009 11:56:00 PM

iPunket said:
It says 78C


--------------

Ohhh, really hot. What case do you have?, How many fans?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2009 11:58:23 PM

@saint

OH, I get it, your here for some meaningless point system, sorry to here that.

I just stop by to have some fun and occasionally help out a person or two. You can check out my previous posts to confirm the truth, both good and bad. Lighten up you'll live longer, it's a proven fact.
m
0
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 12:05:43 AM

RJR said:
@saint

OH, I get it, your here for some meaningless point system, sorry to here that.

I just stop by to have some fun and occasionally help out a person or two. You can check out my previous posts to confirm the truth, both good and bad. Lighten up you'll live longer, it's a proven fact.


-------------------------

Don't worry men, i also was a youngster, so, we are here to help another people and learn something more.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2009 12:08:21 AM

ipunket, the max for your card is 105c, but if it is idling at 78c that isn't very good.

You can download EVGA Precision to manually adjust the fan to lower your temperatures. It's a little easier than Speedfan to use. I have to crank my 8800GT fan to 100% when folding to keep it about 80c, yeah my CM case has bad airflow.
m
0
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 12:11:28 AM

^+1, is a good option. Usually the nVidia's chipset cards keep the fan at 40% that isn't good for the usual ambient. I use my GTX260 with the fan at 60% and the temperature keeps on 43c.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2009 12:14:14 AM

saint19 said:
-------------------------

Don't worry men, i also was a youngster, so, we are here to help another people and learn something more.


I am VERY sorry for giving you a hard time, it will stop right now, I didn't know that English was a second language for you.

I apologize for any and all statements, sorry.

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 12:15:06 AM

Quote:
ipunket, the max for your card is 105c, but if it is idling at 78c that isn't very good.

You can download EVGA Precision to manually adjust the fan to lower your temperatures. It's a little easier than Speedfan to use. I have to crank my 8800GT fan to 100% when folding to keep it about 80c, yeah my CM case has bad airflow.


+1, is a good option. Usually the nVidia's chipset cards keep the fan at 40% that isn't good for the usual ambient. I use my GTX260 with the fan at 60% and the temperature keeps on 43c.


Quote:
This is my case, 4 Fans
http://ucables.com/img/ipics/COOLE [...] R52581.jpg


Heres a pic of my PC
ttp://i45.tinypic.com/10egg38.jpg

I put 2 fans with glue lol :x

Btw it says 80C Now when im playing PCSX2, it isnt cuz of the PCIE voltage? idk whys it getting so hot ;x


Ohh, you have a V8 from coolermaster. Try the option that RJR said, and also make you sure that you GPU have enough space for the airflow.


Quote:
http://www.appinformatica.com/imf/ [...] cie-1g.jpg this is my video card, as u can see ... the fan is really small ... any tip? how do i lower the temp?


The fan is enough, how i said, usually is at 40%. Try to rise till 60% and you can see a good temperature on your GPU.

P.D. Try to get a better GPU for your i7-920.
Share
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 12:20:57 AM

RJR said:
I am VERY sorry for giving you a hard time, it will stop right now, I didn't know that English was a second language for you.

I apologize for any and all statements, sorry.


------------------

Yes, is a second language and i don't write very well.... :( 
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 12:34:15 AM

k last questions n im done here :D  Thx alot
Which NVIDIA do u suggest me for my i7 920? I need a cheap one :x
How do i config the fan speed? 60%? 80%?, whats the normal temp?
As you can see in the pic, i got a fan close to the graphic card throwing the hot air out of the case

Edit: the EVGA program wont letme change the fan speed and it says "75" Speed
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 12:43:46 AM

gtx 260
m
0
l
a c 296 K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2009 12:45:50 AM

iPunket said:
k last questions n im done here :D  Thx alot
Which NVIDIA do u suggest me for my i7 920? I need a cheap one :x
How do i config the fan speed? 60%? 80%?, whats the normal temp?
As you can see in the pic, i got a fan close to the graphic card throwing the hot air out of the case

Edit: the EVGA program wont letme change the fan speed and it says "75" Speed


----------------

nVidia. I have a GTX260. Or an ATI HD 5770 both are in the $150-$200 price range.

For the EVGA program, look for the option that say "automatic" and click in the button. This program is good, but i prefer RivaTuner.

I use the fan at 60% on idle and 100% in load.
m
0
l
!