Sign in with
Your question

XP in , Vista out

Last response: in Windows XP
February 25, 2011 3:59:18 PM

Hi there , I am trying to install XP professional on a pre-installed Windows Vista desktop. When I insert the Xp installation disk in my drive , the XP screen comes up and gives me the choice to install. I click install and the following message pops up:

" This program was excluded b/c of a compatability problem

F:\i386\winnt32.exe

"The installation program cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the one on te CD"

My installation Windows XP professional CD has the I386 file in it. Does the message mean that my drive is not reading my I386 file properly?
Can anyone help me? I really want to get rid of Vista .
I have been going at this for weeks ad cannot fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I am running out of Advil with the heaaches this is giving me.

Thank you thank you

More about : vista

February 25, 2011 4:03:06 PM

I think that you have to boot off the installation CD. It sounds as if you are trying to run the installation from within Windows. It won't let you overwrite the OS with an older version if you do that.
February 25, 2011 4:11:15 PM

ijack is correct.

With the XP disc in, restart the computer. If you see a prompt for the boot menu, go there, and choose the CD/DVD drive. If you don't, tap the delete key repeatedly on startup, to access the BIOS. Set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Save your changes, and exit the BIOS. The computer will then restart, and you'll see a message to 'press any key.' When you see that message, press a key. That will start the format/install process.
Related resources
February 26, 2011 6:18:51 AM

Thanks ijack and aford10 for your quick responses. I tried to install XP direct from booting. I changed the BIOS so that it boots diret to CD and then saved settings. After the reboot I get a black screen that says :
Veryfing Data Drive Pool Data
Boot from CD:

But it never says "press any key to boot from CD:

It then loads Vista and a window pops up to asking to execute the Set-up o WinXp.
I click ok and then the same thing comes up, after I have clicked the option to install XP

"" This program was excluded b/c of a compatability problem

F:\i386\winnt32.exe

"The installation program cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the one on te CD"

Hope I am clear , thanks and much appreciated.
February 26, 2011 9:15:05 AM

In the BIOS, try disabling all other boot devices, besides the CD/DVD drive.
February 26, 2011 7:17:24 PM

Thanks tried this but it is not working, XP Cd will not boot. Is it that my WinXP Cd is too old .I purchased it at least 8 years ago.

February 26, 2011 7:21:12 PM

It should still be bootable, as long as the PC can read it, and it's not an OEM disc.
!