Driver not intalling correctly?

CoolGamer48

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I'm having some trouble updating my HD 4870 X2's driver (I think....). I go to the ATI driver download page, download the application, run it, and go through the screens until it says that the install (or update, forget exact wording) was successfully completed (my screen res is changed at the end though), and that a reboot is required. So I do the reboot. Then a couple of things happen:

A) When Vista loads there are usually some abnormalities with the screen. Like only part of the login page is visible, or the picture seems a bit foggy. These problems usually go away with another reboot. Also, when I reboot my res is back to normal... not really a problem, just saying.

B) I get a message saying "The CCC is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver or enable your AT(words cut off from the message box)the Displays Manager".

C) When I go to the graphics controller options in Windows, it says that the driver version is 8.541... something, but the version I tried to install was 8.10.

Anyone know how to fix these/what I'm doing wrong? There's nothing really wrong when I play games. Its just the error messages.

ibuypower

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
This may sound stupid but did you uninstall you old drivers first??? And the 8.10 is the Catalyst Control Center version and has nothing to do with the actual driver.

Also do you have any on board graphics???

CoolGamer48

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
This may sound stupid
No, that sounds about right... I'm a bit (or maybe a byte, yay for pc puns) of a noob at dealing with drivers... I never dealt with them on my old pre-built machine....

So I just uninstall the first driver and then run the program downloaded from ATI? Wondering how that works since if you uninstall a driver how is the video going to be displayed to allow to install the new driver? Do you need to burn the new driver to a disk first?

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I had that problem too, I fixed it by:
-installed the new driver
-deleted the old driver in the hardware panel ( Apparaatbeheer in dutch )
-Reinstalled the card, and choose the driver myself, chose the location C:/Ati/
or wherever you extracted the files of the ati setup.
-reboot and the problem was gone ^.^
I know I can be a bit vague, but this is what I can do for you. :(

Deleting the old driver is fine, they all support basic VGA mode.

Clear out the old before loading the new.
Best way, download the new driver (BTW the 8.541 is the driver package for the commonly known Catalyst 8.10) , then unplug the network cable, uninstall your video drivers (or run something like driver cleaner pro) then reboot, install new drivers, reboot again if asked, and that should do it.

CoolGamer48

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Um, ok, did all of that:

the version of the graphics driver is still the same, but apparently that's what it's supposed to be?

I still get the CCC warning on bootup... any other ideas?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Delete CCC and your drivers. Reboot in safe mode then delete the Windows generic drivers in device manager. After that run Driver Sweeper and delete all remaining graphics drivers. After that reboot and install new drivers and CCC. Tell us how that works.

G

i hv the same problem.,,,can i know wat is the best display driver for windows vista ultimate 32 bit?