ICY-BOX IB-NAS3221-B NAS running out of resources.

warlockuk

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hello,

I have recently purchased an ICY-BOX IB-NAS3221-B NAS Server made by RaidSonic.

It is running the latest firmware.

When copying a large number of files (e.g. > 15000) and data (e.g. > 35 GigaBytes) in Windows XP to and from it everything starts OK, but after a bit I get error messages such as : -

Read Error: The specified network name is no longer available.

Open Error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Open Error: The specified network name is no longer available.

Read Error: The specified network name is no longer available.

The error messages are created by Teracopy, but windows produces similar errors, I have made a couple of alterations in the registry as documented else where on the net to increase windows resources when copying but the problem still exists, it seems like the IB-NAS3221-B is running out of resources.

The NAS does not report any errors in it's logs.

The only solution appears to be a reboot of the IB-NAS3221-B, which is only a temporary solution, has anyone else encountered this.

I have found the following where someone is having a similar problem

http://chrisdempsey78.blogspot.com/2010/02/icybox-unexpected-network-error.html

Is anyone else having this problem ?, or does anyone else have any advice or work arounds.

I have root access to the NAS through a Telnet session.

Many Thanks in advance.

Warlockuk

bob80141

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Exactly the same - usually when undertaking a full backup of the NAS (it is in use in a small office). One thing i noticed is that on start the fan is running at about 4000 + RPM with a temperature of about 25 Deg. During use the temperature rises, and the fan speed drops !. Something serious here. I suspect that whilst one intermittant user is using files all is OK, get 6 to 8 users or a full backup and all goes pear shaped.

The latest from Raidsonic is they want me to test the drives. This i will do and if all is OK i will raise a complaint with the shop as it is unfit for purpose - being a SOHO NAS device.

Bob W

warlockuk

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I'm not sure what is causing the other problems that you have mentioned, but I found a fix on the raidsonic site that appears to stop all the error messages and problems I was getting when copying lots of files / data. I applied it a few weeks ago and it appears to work (see below). I previously posted it on another forum.

Regards

warlockuk

http://forum.nas-portal.org/archive/index.php/t-9530.html

A fix has been released on the Raidsonic site on 23/2/2010 just found it

http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/service/driver.php

look under bugfix download.

I have installed it and am now testing it.

Hope this helps.

Warlockuk

Deutsch:
Dieser Patch behebt ein Problem welches bei der Übertragung von großen Datenmengen auf getreten ist.

1. Melden Sie sich an der Bedienoberfläche am NAS an
2. Wählen Sie "Control Panel"
3. wählen Sie "Maintanace"
4. Wählen Sie "Software Update"
5. Wählen Sie mittels "Durchsuchen" die Datei "samba_patch.bz2" aus
6. Starten Sie das Update
7. Starten Sie das NAS neu

International:
This patch fixes a problem which is entered in the transmission of large amounts of data.

1. Log on to the user interface on the NAS
2. Select "Control Panel"
3. select Maintanace "
4. Select "Software Update"
5. Select from using "Browse" the file "samba_patch.bz2"
6. Start the update
7. Start the new NAS

warlockuk

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I 've never found any tech support to be very good, I've always usually found my own solutions, they may also just be looking for excuses. Post back and let us all know how it works out.

Warlockuk

bob80141

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Being in the trade i would hope that if you ever had call to use my services i would change your mind at least in part :)
Applied the patch, ran the NAS into the ground for 1 1/2 hours - all OK.
Many thanks
I will tell their tech support to look at this thread :lol:

mab71

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Has this fix been removed or are you using one for a different model? I too have the insuffiencient resource' problem copying lots of files with the 3221 Nas box and thought I'd found the solution. However the software doesn't appear to be available on the Raidsonic web site.

Cheers for any help.

http://forum.nas-portal.org/archive/index.php/t-9530.html

A fix has been released on the Raidsonic site on 23/2/2010 just found it

http://www.raidsonic.de/en/pages/service/driver.php

look under bugfix download.

I have installed it and am now testing it.

Hope this helps.

Warlockuk

warlockuk

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
It looks like Raidsonic have been updating their web site, they also appear to have released a firmware update for the IB-NAS3221-B, (which presumable should contain all the previous bug fixes, consequently that's why you can't find the bug fix that I previously posted about), you can get the new firmware update from the following URL

http://www.raidsonic.de/en/products/nas-systems.php?we_objectID=5679

Look under "Service" and then "Driver & Firmware Downloads", the file that you want is: -

Firmware V2.6.3n v05 + Twonkymediaserver 5.1.3.

I haven't tried this yet as I've had no need and I haven't had the time.

Just follow the firmware update process that is listed in the manual and you should be OK.

Although they say that you should backup the NAS before updating the firmware, I've previously updated the firmware and I didn't loose any data, but I can't offer you any guarantees, ultimately it's your decision.

The only other advice I can offer you is NEVER use a firmware update that is intended for another product, unless your absolutely sure of what you are doing, doing so could quite easily void any warranty and could lead to a complete loss of any data stored on the NAS.

Hope this helps and post back and let us all know how you got on.

Regards

Warlockuk

mab71

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Thanks for that. I have put the new firmware on and it does include the Samba patch for the file copy problem (ie. insufficient resource when copying lots of files).

It does however, seem to be running even slower now though. Instead of the super fast :) ha ha 8Mb/s I'm now gettiing 2 MB/s. I'm about to throw this thing in the bin as it's a complete waste of money.

I've calculated that even at top speed 8Mb/s there's not enough time in the universe to fill my 2x2Tb disks (slight exaggeration).

Regards,