I updated my Video Driver now I can't see my desktop properly.

fadedsilhouette

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hello.

I was just updating my NVIDIA video card driver because I was having a graphical issue while running an online game and I thought it was because of the driver. The computer read the video card as NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE but when I clicked to to manually update it was looking for the NVIDIA 6150 LE. I thought it could have been some kind of error so I searched up the driver for the 7500LE and updated it. Now when I restarted my computer the only thing visible is the desktop's wallpaper. The desktop's icons and the start menu bar are both missing from the screen. The mouse is able to scroll far off the screen to the left but stays in screen when its all the way to the right, which is leading me to believe that somehow when I updated the driver the resolution must have gotten messed up or something. I tried to right click and open up the properties but I think the properties window is opening outside of the monitor where I can't see it. It's strange because the wallpaper is normally sized and fitted perfectly in the center of the screen like it should be and the programs appear to run normally because I can hear them working, but I just can't see them, just the wallpaper.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my system to an earlier date
click next
choose a bold date on the calendar that is before the problem started
click next
follow the directions
after restore, restart the computer

OR do a repair install, see the directions in this forum, sixth post from the top.