Asus plug and play

robertgodson

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hello,
I have an AOC,931SWl external monitor hooked up to my K50lN series computer and have many hours of use without any problems. I disconnected the computer and used the computer elsewhere for a while then re-hooked it back up to my monitor and switched on. Now I can't get a signal to my monitor. I have tried trouble shooting the problem and the only message I got back was " Not plug and play "
any suggestions please.
Many many Thanks.
Robert Godson

Solution
you can try opening the bios setup, and set plug and play for: ON
You can try resetting the CMOS.
You can do a repair install of the OS, or use system restore (maybe) which can sometimes be started without starting windows. (download the Asus full manual)
The repair install does not erase personal files, See this forum, sixth post from the top for directions. Plug your monitor in before doing the repair.
You can call Asus support, but I would not expect too much help.
But, it does not surprise me that Asus board is causing this problem. And that is why I do not recommend Asus boards.
According to my own personal experience, almost any other brand might work better.
you can try opening the bios setup, and set plug and play for: ON
You can try resetting the CMOS.
You can do a repair install of the OS, or use system restore (maybe) which can sometimes be started without starting windows. (download the Asus full manual)
The repair install does not erase personal files, See this forum, sixth post from the top for directions. Plug your monitor in before doing the repair.
You can call Asus support, but I would not expect too much help.
But, it does not surprise me that Asus board is causing this problem. And that is why I do not recommend Asus boards.
According to my own personal experience, almost any other brand might work better.

Solution

robertgodson

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks Al-Vinn. I do appreciate your answer but now my face is very red. To explain. After several days of just using the computer screen. I was out taking a walk and just enjoying the exercise; thinking of nothing in particular when the words Function Key popped into my mind. My subconscious must have been ticking over with the problem of my monitor. Well to cut a long story short it seemed to bring out a faint memory from somewhere inside of what, for a better word, a call a brain. Anyway when I returned home I booted up the computer and as it was starting up I pressed the F8 and Function keys together and low and behold it was like a miracle, the monitor came on.
Well thanks guys for the help. Please put it down as a "Senior Moment" and at 74, I seem to be getting a few of them these days.
Thanks again and Cheers.
Robert Godson