suikostinger

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I ordered a:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

I made a RMA through newegg because I can't stand the noise, I was thinking it was dieing because every 3-4 seconds it would make a clock sound when I'm not doing anything for 1-2 seconds. Now I'm guessing that's just a regular sound.

My question is what is a quiet YET GOOD hard drive? I cant stand when I'm sitting here in the quiet room surfing the web and I start hearing like a needle on a hard surface (it's real low but I can still hear it, I guess that's just me. I need to get a hard drive soon that I want so I can start downloading my games and what not.

Does anyone know a good hard drive that is quiet YET GOOD or know a website that has reviews/tests? I've surfed the web for about 30 minutes and can't find a REALLY good test/review site. I saw one on here and really didn't like it too much.

Any opinions/comments/ or concerns will be appreciated.

dgingeri

Distinguished
The Seagates I've used (2X7200.9 300GB, 2X7200.10 320GB, 3X7200.11 1TB) have all been pretty quiet. The reliability of the 1.5TB 7200.11 drives is a little in question, but the rest have been along industry average. I've had 2 go bad, but those were the 7200.9 300GB drives. (Both died within the first couple months, and were replaced by Seagate quickly and without much backtalk. The replacements are still in use 3 years later.) the rest are still plugging along like champs.

I've heard Samsung Spinpoint drives are pretty quiet, too, but I've had no experience with them.